About to buy some RAM... help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kjs862, Jan 17, 2006.

1. kjs862 macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2004
    I'm about to buy some RAM, but I can't figure out which model duel 2.0 ghz powermac g5 I have. Is there a way to get the model number of the machine, think its a number that starts with an "M". Also I read the guide about buying RAM and they recommend a few people. I just realized DMS is a lot cheaper than crucial.. any comments to that?

2. Johnny Rico macrumors 6502

Feb 17, 2005
    Your computer takes PC3200 184 pin ddr sdram. Crucial makes really nice ram, very robust and it always costs a few dollars more.
  3. w0ngbr4d macrumors regular

Jan 10, 2006
    Findlay, OH
    I just picked up a Corsair ValueRAM 2 GB kit (1GB x2) from newegg. Its cheaper than Crucial. Many would say that the quality is subpar, but I have yet to have problems with it.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    What you need to know is whether you have a Dual Processor G5 <Oct. 19 2005, or a Dual Core G5 > Oct 19 2005

Dual Processors require PC3200 DDR DIMMs in pairs
    Dual Core require DDR-2 533 MHZ DIMMs in pairs

You should be able to find the M####LL/A model number on the serial number plate on the back kof the machine.

DMS is a good choice in the USA.
    Corsair does not guarantee compatibility of their Value Select series with Macs.

My recommendation is to buy from a reputable dealer who guarantees compatibility with your model Mac, offers a lifetime warranty and a no-cost return if it does not work.