About to close the deal on a 12" ibook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jeff_siler, Jul 26, 2005.

1. jeff_siler macrumors 6502

With the upgrades the ibook finally looks tempting to me. I'm a hardcore PC gamer interested in a ibook for portability (and i grew up on macs).

With my education discount the price is $949 and i get a free ipod mini after mail in rebate.

My question is : Will 512mb be enough for tiger for awhile, and is there an available slot where I can add an additional gig of ram later?

thanks so much

Jeff

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

According to the Apple website the 512MB is built in so you can add up to 1GB additional in the open slot.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

There is just one slot for memory. 512 MB will run Tiger. For just routine tasks like surfing and E.Mail you should be fine. Increasing the RAM to 1 GB will definitely improve performance. I would also recommend Applecare.

4. Bowser macrumors member

5. jeff_siler thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok one slot for memory, but there is an open slot, right? I plan on getting a 1gig stick in a few months after I pay it off.

jeff

6. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Yes and nice thread hijack btw :)

7. jeff_siler thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah :(

8. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

That is what I like about the new iBook. The 512MB is soldered on and it has one whole open slot to accomadate anything you want to put in there (256MB, 512MB, 1GB) while the 12" Powerbook only has 256MB soldered on and 256MB occupying the one and only available slot. So when upgrading 12" PB, you have take into factor that you are removing 256MB of upgrading the memory.

9. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

10. jeff_siler thread starter macrumors 6502

Well i'm now getting the runaround from apple customer service. :mad: I applied and was accepted today for an apple student loan, but when i call apple customer service they tell me that I need the 3 digit code on the back of the card (to be mailed to me). I give juniper a call (they handle apple student loans) and they assured me that all I have to do is call 1-800-my-apple to get this resolved.

I am basically playing phone games with apple and juniper, one says one thing and the other says something else. Apple now tells me that I have to wait 10 days until i receive the juniper card in the mail until I place my order :(

Can anyone help me out with suggestions?

thanks,

jeff