About to get a wart removed... what to expect?

Discussion in 'Community' started by diehldun, Aug 4, 2005.

1. diehldun macrumors 6502a

Nov 15, 2003
    I know this might sound like an abolutely disgusting thread/subject to talk about, but in a couple of hours, I have to go to the hopsital to remove a plantar wart on the bottom of my left foot (it really does feel like painfully walking on a small rock).

This is my first wart... what should I expect? The doctors/dermatologist said they'd burn/freeze it off with liquid nitrogen or something :confused:

Do these "operations' hurt or painful? I have absolutely no idea what to expect (I don't know anyone else whose had a stubborn wart that won't go away after using Dr. Scholls)

This is a bizarre thread, but I'm a little nervous :eek: Thanks for any replies!
  2. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    Dooooooood.... it hurts like being fingered by Captain Hook :eek: Worst pain ever!
  3. diehldun thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 15, 2003
    :confused: :confused:
  4. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    It didn't hurt so much when I had it done, I had a big one on my finger awhile back and they just froze it off. It stung a little but not anything worth crying about.
  5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Aug 17, 2004
    Communard de Londres
    It didn't hurt for me when I had one frozen when a nipper,it certainly wasn't as uncomfortable as a wart on the sole of my foot.
  6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    Plantar warts – are those like verrucas?

I had a couple of veruccas when I was 14ish – I had them on both feet, so I had them done a foot one week, the other foot a few weeks later. Basically I had them burnt off, which didn't hurt due to the anesthetic injection. It was that that was the painful bit, although it soon passed.

The doctor did his work while I was laid on my back on a bench. Unfortunately, one of the verrucas was on the underside of my heel, so the burning off ws performed with me keeping my foot up in the air – obviously I had to keep it very still. Obviously after a couple of minutes it really, really began to hurt holding my leg up like that! I was talking about verrucas with my girlfriend the other day (don't ask) and I told her this story – she looked puzzled and asked why the doctor didn't just get me to lie on my front. Never even occurred to me at any point in the intervening 15 years... :confused:

Anyway, I remember the leg-in-the-air-hurtyness much more than the injection or burning off, so what I'm basically saying in a roundabout way is you'll be fine! Good luck for tomorrow. ;)
  7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I had two removed by laser surgery about 10 years ago. It wasn't overly painful during surgery. They used a nerve block, though. Which is an awkward experience. ;)

The only *gross warning gross warning gross warning* thing that was nasty is that after surgery, I had to put a salve on it several times daily, and the salve would go on white, and get contaminated with blood and stuff and form into this sort of pink paste. It was pretty nasty, had to be re-dressed several times daily, and went on for quite a while -- maybe almost two weeks? The procedure abraded away tissue to a fair depth under the top-most layer of skin, and it took some time to grow back and close up.

Anyway, though, it worked very nicely, and I really didn't have problems after that. It did leave two (I had two of them on the same foot! :() quarter-sized scars on the bottom of my foot that are still visible.

I have never had the freezing procedure, so I can't comment on that.

Anyway, though, I hope you have the best of luck with it, and get rid of those awful things! I definitely don't regret going through the pain to get rid of them. :eek:
  8. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    I suggest some serious morphine, man. Hurts worse than receiving fellatio from Jaws.
  9. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    I got a wart freezed off my toe when I was ~11 and I thought it was going to hurt a lot. At first, it feels a little odd, and then a tiny bit painful. I thought it was going to build up to an intense agony, but it never did. So, go expecting pain, and leave happy that you never got it. :)

10. iBlue macrumors Core

Mar 17, 2005
    London, England
    that's twisted!

no really, it won't hurt that bad, don't fret. it will annoy you to walk on for a week or so though. i freaked out something fierce (i felt like a witch, a wart?!) but i had the sucker "burned" off via cryogenic freeze. it was annoying but not altogether bad. it worked by the way, no problems in years. i just wish i knew where i got a damn wart, that made me mad.
    [blushing now, having admitted this]
  11. diehldun thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 15, 2003

just came back from the hospital... the first 10 seconds weren't bad at all, but it stung quite a bit for the next minute or so, then disapated. Now, it's just a little annoying walking.

The worst part is that I need to check back in a month, and may need to continue the process.
  12. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    Plantars warts are the worst.

You can't cut the freaking things out without them coming back.

(I've tried, ended up in the ER for stitches - Derr)
  13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    i had a wart on my foot and the dermetologist froze it with liquid nitrogen. Didn't hurt at all just tickled :cool: