About to get my first real mac, and a couple of questions...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ZildjianKX, Sep 18, 2003.

1. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Hi. I finally decided to get a G5... despite still thinking the front is ugly :p

Anyways... I just had a couple of questions that I was hoping the mac experts could help me out with.

Well, most of my questions really have to do w/ software choices, since I'm trying to kill off my PC for good.

I'm really having trouble finding good newsgroup software... I currently use newsbin for the PC, and nothing I've found in OS X is even close. I've tried out Thor, but its still lacking. Does anyone have any personal preferences that they feel matches up to newsbin?

My other question was about basic FTP software. I currently use FlashFXP for PC, and I'm having trouble finding some really quality FTP clients for mac. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And lastly... I still haven't received my G5 yet, but does it have a 1/4" minijack port in the back to hook up computer speakers to? I know it has a headphone jack in the front. Thanks.

2. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Re: About to get my first real mac, and a couple of questions...

Most folks reckon Thoth to be the best news client on the mac... It's shareware. I really like pan which is a great client and is free (GPL) but it requires you to install the X11 client and fink so it's a bit of a pain to install.
    I use Transmit which is shareware.
    Dunno for certain but I guess it must do as the G4 Powermac had minijacks front and back. Check the tech specs on the Apple site. I saw my first G5 the other day...Isn't it big!?!?

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

[​IMG]

That would be, yes.

4. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Thanks for the responses. I just wanted to make sure the analog output in the back was the right size. Thanks again, and I'll check out those programs.

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Yeah, Apple choses not to use plain english but the Analog output is a sub-miniature headphone jack.

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

If you're looking for a usenet app for binaries... Thoth is the best I think. You can try Hogwasher

http://www.asar.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?2/index.html

but I had some crashing issues with it, so I stopped using it. For non-binaries, MT-Newswatcher is a popular one that seems to work well.

Transmit and Interarchy are popular shareware FTP clients.

CyberDuck is a new free FTP app

http://icu.unizh.ch/~dkocher/cyberduck/

I haven't used it much, since I've already registered for one of the shareware options.

CuteFTP was ported over recently too, if you like that.

arn

7. ibjoshua macrumors 6502a

ibjoshua

Transmit has a great interface and has always been a pleasure to use. In fact it is one of the few pieces of shareware that I've ever used enough on a regular basis to feel compelled to register and pay for.

http://www.panic.com

i_b_joshua

8. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

So sub-miniture is 1/4", right? :)

Thanks for the suggestions Arn. I tried hogwasher before, it seems okay, but slightly slow.

I think Fugu so far has been the best FTP client I tried, I really didnt like the mac version of CuteFTP. Thanks for all the input guys.

9. twentyeight7 macrumors member

no im gunna say that its 1/8" that is like what you see on consumer headphones 1/4 is like a guitar cable

10. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Re: Re: About to get my first real mac, and a couple of questions...

I really liked Hogwasher, but after the trial it costs $50 to register. Seems a bit pricey to me.

11. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

As far as FTP Apps....check out the article in Sept.2003 MacWorld on FTP clients.

http://www.macworld.com/2003/09/reviews/ftpclients/

~e

12. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Re: Re: About to get my first real mac, and a couple of questions...

Thanks for the link, very helpful.

I think I was confused on the headphone jack since I was thinking standard headphones are 1/4" minijack, but they are 1/8" minijack.... so the G5 has two 1/8" minijack ports... one in the front, one in the back... correct me if I got that wrong.

I think what I'm really looking for in a binaries newsgroup reader is the ability to queue files easily. In my PC version you can just select a checkbox next to the file name, and can do it quickly. Hopefully something similar will eventually come out.

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Correct.

14. job macrumors 68040

job

Re: Re: Re: About to get my first real mac, and a couple of questions...

I believe the G5 has a 1/4" jack in the front and two 1/8" jacks in the back. You can buy an adapter if you want to plug your speakers into the port on the back.

15. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: Re: Re: About to get my first real mac, and a couple of questions...

The G5 doesn't have any 1/4" jacks. 1/4" jacks are rare these days and are pretty much relegated to home receivers and high end audio equipment. The G5 has 1/8" sub-miniature headphone jack on the front and the back and one 1/8" sub-miniature microphone jack on the back.

16. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

17. job macrumors 68040

job

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: About to get my first real mac, and a couple of questions...

Oops. Yeah, I flipped the measurements for the 1/4" and 1/8" jacks.

:)

18. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Hey... two more quick questions if you guys don't mind.

I know how to change which application opens a file in OS X... but how exactly do you change which program opens a hyperlink?

And my last question... I started to use Disk Copy to make a backup of a CD. I know I probably want to select "Compressed" when making the image... but what does the "DVD/CD Mastering" do when making the backup? Burn it? I also wasn't sure what the difference was if I made it encrypted. I'm hoping backing it up compressed and non-encrypted is the way to go...

Thanks again.

19. Chilton macrumors newbie

Dunno about that CD burnin' stuff.

But regarding FTP, I just use the Finder. You can connect to any FTP server with that (see the Connect menu), and mount the remote file server on the desktop, just like you would a local drive.

For shareware, I've used NetFinder in the past, but use the Finder and my own home-brew software for this now.

For News reads, I frankly don't know of any good ones out right now. There were/are a ton of them for Classic MacOS, but my only experience has been with Thoth, which frankly felt clumsy.

Regarding links and such, go to the Internet settings in the System Preferences. There's an option there to set up which apps do what.

-Chilton

20. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

FTPing with the finder in Jaguar can lead to problems. For one it's really really slow. Another thing is if for some reason you don't get disconnected properly or the computer your connected to is dropped for some reason it can cause a kernel crash or a hard system hang. Hopefully this is fixed in Panther.

21. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

OK to do this go into your system preferences, then go into internet (i think its one of the network selections not at my mac right now) anyway I think the third tab over lets you pick your defult browser so everytime you hit a hyperlink it opens in that program... hope that helps :)

as for your second question I dont know much at all about DVD editing but I have heard my friend who is into it a lot talk about it and from what I gathered (correct me if im wrong) "Mastering" a DVD or CD is a final copy that cant be worked on anymore, so It is probably encrypted. sorry I cant be of more help on this one:(

22. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

When you're making images of CDs or DVDs you want to use the DVD/CD Mastering setting. You can get more information on this an everything else by using help though it's poorly organized.

23. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Thanks for the help. I'm not on a mac right now so I'm going to ask... what exactly is the difference between the compressed and CD/DVD mastering option? I went through the disk copy help before, and it was pretty limited on how to actually copy a CD. I'm thinking the CD/DVD mastering is standard ISO 9660 format... but not sure what the other one is... just compresses all the files from the disk? If that's the case, if you already have a DMG file, how can you tell which mode it was created in?

I actually made a copy of my jaguar CD with a compressed image and burned it, and it worked fine, so I'm a little confused. Thanks.

24. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I don't know exactly what the difference but I do know that if you want a good copy of a CD you have to use the CD/DVD. I've tried the other settings and the images didn't always verify correctly.