About to install WWDC tiger preview

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nesbitt_a, Oct 28, 2004.

1. nesbitt_a macrumors 6502

Hey guys - I'm about to install the WWDC tiger preview from the DVD. Was wondering if you had any suggestions, problems, stories, feedback?

I'm not too worried about loosing the content of my drive as I'm gonna back it all up to my 40gb 4g iPod anyway!

Cheers, Andy.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Since you're a developer I'm sure you know all the risks. Let us know of anything new that you find.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Since you're not worried about the drive, you'll be fine. Be prepared to be underwhelmed... early Tiger is a lot like Panther except that it has a few cool features and a lot of pieces that don't work at all.

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

5. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Have it at home, but haven't installed it - no spare Mac to try it on.

I still think Tiger hasn't yet bared its claws, the preview at the WWDC was very early and there's a lot of scope for things to appear at the next big showing (Macworld in Jan?)

6. nesbitt_a thread starter macrumors 6502

Great. I want to install it to see how spotlight is integrated into the system, and how I can make use of the SDK in my own mac apps. Should be interesting, though I'm not expecting miracles.

I can't wait til MWSF 05, I'll be in san francisco for the new year - but will miss out on the keynote by a week, but will be returning to stream it from the net!

Tiger will be a long way evolved by then I'd say. Lots of features that will make the 'everyday consumer' buy it - not just those that get geeks and developers excited.

Andy.

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I disagree. I think consumers will buy it just because it's going to go for sale. With that being said, I think that Tiger will have a few major improvements, and they are things which will enhance your computing experience, but not necessarily things that you will notice all that much.

8. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

9. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I had to uninstall Tiger because it was painfully slow on my 1ghz powerbook G4. I think that was just an isolate incident though.

10. nesbitt_a thread starter macrumors 6502

I did install it, and it was painfully slow. I couldn't use it as my everyday system - too many bugs and crashes to be any way near usable.

I've just sold my PowerBook anyway - so no odds. Hope Tiger is released at MWSF - that would be sweet on my new powerbook!

11. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

running it on my new 15" PB. It's still pretty slow sometimes but i like the new version of mail, and love spotlight - when it works that is. it sometimes picks out no files whatsoever, and sometimes works great.

safari keeps crashing, about once or twice a day.

the workgroup window when you log in comes up EVERY time, no matter if i click remember preferences or not.

some finder windows mash up the top bar of their window when loading up either the root of the hard drive or the applications folder...

other than that it's good. but because of the trouble it'll be coming off. i need stability for my development stuff.

oh yeah, and dreamweaver mx 04 doesn't want to work at all. the deciding factor.

i'd wait for at least another major build, unless you just can't wait. it does look nicer (not that i thought it could really!) :rolleyes:

12. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

It's slow at first because it indexes all the drives, which can take a really long time. After that I've found it just as fast as Panther, and with the latest build, faster.

AppleMatt

13. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

what i want to know now is how to uninstall tiger, seeing as the machine i've installed it on doesn't seem to want to boot from panther install discs.

:(

14. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

if your copy if 8A268, then do yourself a favor and through it out the window, ran like crap on my powerbook and was pretty buggy (rev.a aluminum 15inch) if it is 8A294 on the otherhand, it runs like a charm, things like pulldown windows and stuff are much faster in that build of tiger then currently in 10.3.6, plus spotlite is cool, takes a while to index your drive though.

aethier

15. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

The latest build is much more impressive. I would try getting that and installing it. It is a little unstable at times but it works.

jon