About to pull the trigger on the new Base Station BUT......

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by daneoni, Jan 23, 2007.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

something keeps shouting Noooooo! in my head. I dunno why im bugging since my dad is buying it for the house in general to replace our ageing Dlink. I guess its the reports that Airport Extremes fail after two years. I need this router to last 5 yrs minimum.

Few questions, whats the warranty like is it just one year and is it extendable. Second my house has a significant amount of PCs so i wanna know if the Base Stations play nice with PCs in general???.

Also i have a C2D MacBook Pro so i want to know if i can get n functionality or if i have to pay a fee like my US counterparts?

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

I'm looking to maybe buy one of these too. But no one can make an informed decision at least until the user manual is available to download. The standard Apple warranty is one year but you can buy applecare to extend that to three years.

I don't see any reason to order a product before it is shipping and we can read the reports from the first users.

3. BenHoleton macrumors regular

I have had no problems with any of the Airport base stations I have owned (both original, and 2 airport expresses...one for home and one for travel) They have had a great range, even through walls, and up-and-down flights of stairs. No malfunctions on them at all. My friends are pc users and they can access them with no trouble. I am looking at upgrading my home network to a airport extreme and expect the same results (I am only upgrading to add a networked hard drive, as well as my networked printer.) Hope this helps!

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Any links?

For what it's worth, mine has been on near continuously (aside from moving from one home to another a couple of times) for approximately three years now without a hiccup.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I've just ordered one to replace a Netgear router and a Mac Mini I was using as a network drive in conjunction with a 500GB Mini-style HD, figuring that it will act as a print server as well as connect to the HD through a USB hub.
    At least that's what Apple claim...

My Airport Express has been trouble-free for three years - although I am aware that some people have experienced failures.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There is a string of disgruntled owners mouthing off about it on the AppleStore website, no less.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, really? For what it's worth, the AEBS has only been around for 4 years as of this month. The Airport Express has only been around for 2.5 years....

Anyway, though, I guess I should take a look at that thread over on Apple's site. :eek:

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You obviously assumed I was talking Earth years.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Actually, my triple breasted lover told me to do it. :eek: ;) :D

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

Um, ok.

Seems to be a fairly crazy request of any piece of current technology (as it won't be very current in 5 years), but if it's your need. :D

I'm trying to remember what LinkSys routers were like 5 years ago...

11. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

My current Dlink router is on it way to its 5th year, thats why.

12. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

I've just pulled the trigger, i had to buy it now as my Father goes back home from the holidays in in 48 hrs. Estimated Delivery Date........2nd March.

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

My point was that wireless technology improvements would probably warrant getting a new access point before the access point failed, but I forget that not everyone jumps when wireless gets faster. :)

Congrats on getting the new one!