About to purchase a dell 2405fpw

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by 1nsanity, Aug 31, 2005.

1. 1nsanity macrumors regular

Well after many thoughts I decided to go with a dell 24".

I know many people here have experience with this specific monitor and dell monitors in general.

I want to use that monitor with my 15" RevC powerbook with a 128mb video card.

I was wondering if the HTDV input is worth it ? since I plan to use the monitor to play some next gen consoles.

Basically if you have any advice why I should or should not get that monitor please share your piece of mind!

Thank you!

2. BONDS macrumors newbie

Hey man,

I have this monitor and it is amazing. I love watching HDTV on it, especially sports events. I have also played xbox via component and it is amazing. I was speechless when I first saw how good MVP Baseball looked it 720p. I def. suggest that you get this monitor. I got mine in march and it has been great.

~bonds

3. lfielder06 Guest

I agree MVP is amazing in HD. Right now I have to play it on regular resolution and I never realized how much I enjoyed the HD until now. I was only watching on a 17" screen too.

The 2405fpw will be great for next gen consoles. I didn't realize that the 2405 had a HDTV input.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Using it with component video from DVD and its good. If you can, wait until there are coupon codes and you can get it for $779 or thereabouts.

5. 1nsanity thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm I wish I lived in US for that, but I"m in Canada so i'll enjoy my 10% sale woohoo!!!

Thanks!!

Great to hear the hdtv input works great!

Nick

6. Scorpio65 macrumors newbie

Compatibility with Older Macs

I'm thinking about getting the dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24-inch Flat Panel LCD Monitor, and I want to use it with my 3 existing computers, but I'm not sure that the monitor is compatible with all of them. I have two Macs and an IBM PC. The Macs are both G4s. One is a 467Mhz and the other is a 966Mhz. The IBM is a 1Ghz. After checking through the system profiler, it appears that the video card in the 467Mhz is an ATY, Rage128Pro with a resolution of 1152.870 @75 Hz.
    Help! I really want to get this monitor, but I need to know if it'll work first.
    Thanks in advance.

7. 1nsanity thread starter macrumors regular

Well I ordered mine last week, I just have to wait till it gets here to test it out with several systems!

You could change the gfx card?

8. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

Apparently, from what I've read in other forums, you can call dell.ca up and talk that price down to below $1200cdn, a few people have managed that price with all taxes included.

9. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/lea...=popup&~series=optix&~subcat=ultra&~tab=other

Its safe to say that in your case the answer is no.

10. Scorpio65 macrumors newbie

Comparing Apple(Macs Video Cards) and Oranges

Thanks for the response ( I think, lol) and I did see that page on Dell's site, but was still unable to determine the compatibility, seeing that the information that appears in my system profiler does not seem to match ANY of the Yes OR No compatibility listings...
    My hope is that the monitor will work with AT LEAST my G4 966 and the IBM 1Ghz. In that case, I'll just swap the hardrive over from the old G4 to an empty hardrive bay in the 966.
    Any thoughts on the liklihood of such scenario panning out?
    signed,
    Wanting to get the Dell so Badly!
    Scorpio65