About to purchase a new PowerBook...few questions...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ckeck, Aug 1, 2005.

1. ckeck macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2005
    Hey everyone, just a few simple questions here...

I just bought my first Apple computer last week, a 14" iBook which I really enjoyed. I did end up taking it back to the store though because I think I want to pick up a PowerBook instead.

I am a "power user" on my Windows PC's and don't know if I would be or not on an Apple, but better safe than sorry...plus, I need a PC card slot which the iBook doesn't have...

My QUESTION is this:

I don't know how the new hardware releases on Apple's are, or when to expect them, so I want to know if anything new is on the horizon in the next 2-3 months?? If so, I can wait, I have several computers to work with, and this is going to be more of a hobby computer anyhow, but I don't want to buy now and have something really neat be coming out.

So whats the next planned upgrade/update to the PowerBook's and when is it coming?

Any advice/insight is greatly appreciated!

*if I should be aware of anything else please tell me*
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    My prediction is that nothing radical will come out in the next few months. My reasoning: the basis for the switch to Intel was that the current chips aren't going anywhere fast.

I'd get a PowerBook when you need one. They're very cool machines and even if new ones come out the next day, the changes will most likely be insignificant. :)
  3. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    I think the only major major thing that could come into the powerbooks soon is a 12"-13" widescreen. That would be more HiDef. wounldn't it?

There were rumors of a widescreen iBook, but knowing apple why would they put a widescreen on an iBook before the 12" PowerBook?
  4. ajampam macrumors regular

Jul 31, 2005
    I just recently picked up my 12' PB...these machines are cool and can take you through most daily jobs seamlessly....I am also a power user as my research needs me to nalyze data from tens of thousands of genes at a time...and the 12 incher is wonderful....I would say go for it....when you want it...if you are a student, then the edu offer is on till sept 24th....wait till the last week of the offer, if there is nothing new pick up what is available....believe me, you wont be sorry!!!!
  5. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2005
    I just wish the 12" PowerBook had a PC card slot...its so much cheaper than the 15" :eek:

Also, where can I find out about the EDU discount? I am a student!