about to purchase NEW powerbook !!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Gokhan, Oct 24, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502a

hi

i am about to purchase a new powerbook from apple edu uk !
    my question is i have now sold my 1.25ghz 15" and am wondering whether to hold off buying a new powerbook until a significant speed increase is released (from 1.25 to 1.67 is only about a 30% incraese) or to just buy one using education discount and egg card can someone also confirm this will work ?

anyway what do u think of course refrubs are a option too, give me ur views ?

2. macrumors G4

dmw007

Well, I don't think that the new 1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4s are a bad value at all. New features, lower price = good deal. Yes, they should have put in faster chips, but for the $$$ they are a nice computer. Seeing how you get the education discount + the discount using an egg card, I would say go ahead and buy a new PowerBook G4. Just my $0.02. :)

3. macrumors 68020

It's frustrating isn't it? In this thread we are discussing the 7448. No one knows when it will be ready.

4. macrumors G4

dmw007

Very frustrating. But the timeframe (that is if they ever get them) is short since the 'Books should be the first Macs to receive the intel Pentium M processor.

5. macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I agree, I would just buy the Power Book if you need it now.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

k

see the thing is i mostly use my titianuim powerbook so this new machine would be a backup but yeah the speed issue is the biggest the only good element is i dont wanna miss is the egg card discount and the fact that for the first time in my life i can own a from new is
    tempting :)

on one hand i can buy now and sell if speed increases occur seen as the laptop will cost me £1080 so i should think i can recoup most of this when i come to sell on the other i can risk waiting for updates and risk losing egg card
    discount ):

i spoke with apple today and cause i want the standard config they will deliver in 48 hours or so i was told

my head is spinning :confused: