About to purchase some earbuds...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kingsly, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

... And I am torn between the Shure E2c and the Etymonic ER-6i.

I have tried my dad's ER-6i's and really liked them, but am nervous about the fit in my ear and build quality (I hear they are not particularly durable [thin cord, etc.]). I get the impression that the Shures are a little tougher, but I have tried a pair of Shure studio monitors and found them to be lacking when it came to sound quality (not sure if I put them in right though... :eek: ). Also, I seem to have very small ear canals and have had lots of trouble with 'buds that use the dome style rubber á la Shure. At the same time, I am not sure how well the ER-6i will fit either...

To add to the mix, I recently discovered the Bose earbuds and am wondering about those.

So confused... help? :eek:
  2. Irish Dave macrumors regular

Nov 20, 2006
    The Emerald Isle
    Anything "Bose" has to be the dog's bo**ocks

Dave :cool:
  3. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Wow those vibes look amazing.

I wend ahead a purchased the Etymotics, because I fly a lot and know for certain that they block out sound quite well.
  4. blonderocker macrumors newbie

Feb 3, 2007
    Ellensburg WA
    Shures all the way

WHile I've heard good things about the entymotic 6i's ive also heard that they are a lot more fragile than the shures. I've been using the e2' s for over a year and they rock, they have a perfect balance of tones, not to muchbass, or treb or mids. They are also invincible. I've stepped on mine and they didn't even notice. Westone also makes a custom tip for them if you want a professional fit. They already fit better than most all buds out there that are stock. And they're only $69 on amazon right now. Westone UM-1 are also great earbuds.
  5. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Bose are massively overrated.

Cue the flames.
  6. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2006
    I have a pair of E2cs and they are great. If you put them in correctly, dont worry about the small channel because that is funnelled straight down into the ear.

aswell with the E2cs,they come with 3 different styles of earbud: very soft rubber; harder rubber; and a sponge type thing. These also come in 3 different sizes so i am sure that at least 1 will fit you properly.
  7. n8236 macrumors 65816

Mar 1, 2006
    I just bought a set of V-Moda Vibes and they are pretty bomb. The bass is amazing and it's highly respected w/ high review marks. It's about 35-40 bux and worth every penny!
  8. playm0de macrumors member

Jun 18, 2006
  9. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Jun 13, 2006

where the hell did you find a pair of $100 headphones for $35? I'd buy them for that much, but I don't think the vibes are worth $100- they're all fashion, nothing really to back it up.
  10. emotion macrumors 68040

Mar 29, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    I have the E2cs but I find the fit of the cable (not the fit in the ear, that's easy to get right) is a bit fiddley (I have longish hair). The sound is very good once you've messed with routing the cables over your ears etc.

I've just bought some Sennheiser cx300s and for the price they are absolutely amazing and not far behind the e2cs in performance.

One word, be very careful of very cheap prices for earbuds. There are a lot of counterfit ear buds around at the moment, the two above makes included. Try and buy from reputable places, not some random geezer/"shop" on ebay.
  11. TheBobcat macrumors 6502

Nov 1, 2006
    East Lansing, Michigan
    The Shures are amazing once you get them in right, and find the right style of earbud that suits you.