About to sell my iMac, anything to do?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iRhyknow, Jan 24, 2007.

1. iRhyknow macrumors member

Nov 12, 2005
    I'm about to ebay my G5. How do I make sure all of my information is erased and also a clean slate for the person who buys my computer. I have about one year of Applecare is there anything I need to have the buyer do to transfer it? Thanks for any advise, or specific instructions. ;)
  2. discoforce macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2004
    Vermont, USA
    Erasing your data isn't all you should do...

From the applecare terms and conditions...

6. Transfer of Plan
    You may transfer this Plan to a new owner of the Covered Equipment by sending, faxing or e-
    mailing notice of transfer to Apple Computer, Inc., ATTN: Agreement Administration, MS: 217-
    AC, 2511 Laguna Blvd, Elk Grove, CA 95758, U.S., fax number 916-399-7337 or
    agmts_transfer@apple.com, respectively. You must provide the Plan Agreement Number, the
    serial numbers of the Covered Equipment being transferred, proof of purchase of the Plan, and
    the name, address, telephone number and email address of the new owner.
  3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    That awfully smiley guy over on that forum put together a nice guide! :)
  4. Aperture macrumors 68000

Mar 19, 2006
    I was in the same boat as you a few weeks ago. I had APC on my iMac too, and Apple reassured me a few times that the coverage transfers with the computer, & you shouldn't have to do anything to transfer it. As far as erasing data goes, I would reinstall (backup first if you so choose) OS X using the Mac OS X installer disk & do an ERASE & INSTALL. After the installation, before you register boot off the computer. (Remember to eject the disk) Next time you boot on it *should* take you to where you left off.