About to switch (again)...my computer life story

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thesnowman16, Mar 29, 2007.

1. thesnowman16 macrumors member

thesnowman16

I have used PC's since I can remember, first computer was a 286, then had a 386dx2 66 (wow the power! It ran wolf 3d like you wouldn't believe!).

Then upgraded to a P1 133 (Awesome power, and great response, I was stoaked to find quake would run with all setting set to low). This was probably my favorite computer I have ever owned. I had a friend who lived locally and we use to play Heretic and doom 2 via modems (My modem called him, his modem replied and we played! Wish you could still do this with modern games, the pings were so good!).

Anyway, I went to bible college and wanted something a little more powerful so upgraded to a P2 300mhz, was not all that impressed, sure I could now play unreal but that was no big deal to me.

After bible college (I was about 17 by this time) I did a computer technician course (Finished with highest marks ever recoded in New Zealand for my CompTIA A+ exam!), during this course I built a 1ghz machine. That was my computer for 4 years, I loved it! Awesome computer, windows xp was amazing (Yes I said it, I LOVE windows xp).

So I turned 21 and decide it's time to see the country, so I move to Christchurch (city in the south island). While here I get a Sony mini DV video camera. I have basically stopped playing games and want to edit video. Needless to say my needs had changed. I started researching good software for video editing on my computer (Windows movie maker didn't cut it). I finally found ilife (imovie) and decided that’s exactly what I wanted! So I went out and brought an emac (Being a student I couldn't really afford anything more). I LOVED this computer so much it isn't funny.

Anyway, one day while out shooting (with the video camera, not with a gun) I took a fall (I am a mountain unicyclist...well was) and ended up in hospital with a messed up back. I had basically vaporized one of my vertebra during the fall and had to have a fake one put in. Well I was stuck in bed for almost 6 months and would never unicycle again (apparently). Once again my needs had changed. I sold the video camera and the emac and got an hp laptop to use while stuck in bed.

My experience with the hp laptop is as follows:

Month 1, Motherboard fails send away for repair
    Month 2, get the laptop back after waiting 5 weeks while it was being fixed
    Month 3, Battery decides to stop working
    Month 4, get laptop back after another 5 weeks
    Month 5, The stupid speakers on the laptop keep giving me electric shocks every time I touch them (They are built into the wrist area so to type you basically have to touch them. I decided I will just live with it and not bother to wait another 5 weeks.
    Month 6, Motherboard fails AGAIN
    Month 7, still waiting
    Month 8, Get computer back, one speaker doesn't work, other does, still get electric shocks
    Month 9, One day while in a very bad mood I throw my laptop off the top of a very tall building. Got sick of it, sick of HP, sick of windows sick of everything.

I found a good pc on the internet (that I am actually using to write this). Total gem of a computer, unbranded, amd processor, big hard drive, awesome video card, everything I ever wanted!

Till now!

I use auto cad for my job and that requires windows. I would have switched back to a Mac sooner but for the AutoCAD thing.

Now with bootcamp I can use windows on my Mac.

So I'm getting a white 2.0 GHz c2d Macbook with 2 GB of ram! It's the best of both worlds, I can plug it into my 19" widescreen lcd for my cad work, or unplug it when I’m stuck in bed (I spend about 18 hours a day in bed because of my back problems).

I have also started unicycling again (about an hour a day, but will never be able to mountain unicycle again, getting into freestyle unicycling), so I will be getting a new video camera (I'm hoping to find an updated model of my old mini dv camera so that I can use the same tapes).

So alls well that ends well, I’m coming back to Mac at long last, I did miss it!

:apple:

2. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Congratulations thesnowman16 for choosing to go Mac. Once you go Mac, you will never go back.

3. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I, too, switched back to PC and I am now looking to move back to Mac. I love my C2D custom built desktop and I will keep it, but my X60 is just not cutting the mustard. I am going to replace it with a MB or MBP... have not decided yet.

Wow! thats quite the story! One thing i don't understand: is this just a blog entry or a question? Oh and I don't know how much space turbocad documents take up but if you are also gonna do video editting again, i suggest you upgrade your hdd on the macbook to at least 120gb hdd that way you can easily boot a 40gb windows partition and have lots of room for movie editing. :)

5. thesnowman16 thread starter macrumors member

thesnowman16

I guess you could call it a blog entry, it was more just a switching story lol

I don't use turbo cad, I use autocad (Turbocad = $100, autocad ADT = $20,000nz / year) bit of a diffence in the software.

I will be making a 10gb windows partition and will be storing my data on an external hard drive that is attached to my airport extream base station (formatted to fat32).

I will be upgrading the hard drive though, raw dv takes lots of space :p

whoops sorry..i went on what i remembered reading. I've heard of both software programs. Yes, a bit of a difference. Especially the cost. Good plan with the external. Yes you will want as much space as possible. Once i have the money to spend on my macpro i will be upping the ram and the hard drive space. Video editing is a pig.

7. thesnowman16 thread starter macrumors member

thesnowman16

Yeah I looked into turbo cad but it didn't have anywere near the functionality that i need (otherwise I would have swicted back a couple of years ago).

On my emac (Very slow computer that it was) I edited a video (Only a 20gb hard drive if I remember correctly) that actauly got played on tv (admitidly only about 5mins of a 25min video (and only the embarising stuff) but I was still able to cut together and edit the whole thing on a very limited computer, I'm sure the macbook will more than fit my requirements. However I can see if people use the more advanced features that resouces could be used very very fast, so I fully understand what you mean about needing more ram and hard drive space lol :apple: Just be glad you don't edit on a windows box like I had to before I got my emac (I only had to put up with this for about a month tho so it wasn't too bad). :apple:

well until a year and a half ago I used windows all the time, but i didn't do video editting yet. Now i do. But I have done editting on windows. Movie maker is awful! I still have windows on my MacPro cause I do some gaming from time to time with friends. So the 20gb partition serves as gaming for the odd occasion. I never play games other than with some friends.

9. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

Once you mentioned the X60, you got my attention. I am right now very close to purchasing one. They have a good sale right now (not that they won't soon have a better one).

So, please, I am very interested to hear all that you have to say about the X60. You must have bought it recently, judging from the specs. Was it not what you expected? I would really appreciate hearing your perspective on this. Why is it not "cutting it"?

10. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

There's always vectorworks, sketchup, and such :)