about to "switch" - need advice as to when

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Lain, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Lain macrumors newbie

Hi, I am about to purchase a Mac mainly for the purpose of learing how to use Graphic Design software. My budget is quite tight so I can only afford a standard G4 1.25gHz PowerMac or an eMac, however, I prefer the PowerMac for its epandability options and faster overall speed. My question is should I buy one now? or wait for the updated models which seem to come out at the beggining of the year and or half way through? Anyone has any ideas what Apple might do with the updated G4 PowerMacs and eMacs? as they seem to get more powerfull and cheaper every six months.

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Since we've got PowerMac G5's now I'd try to scoop up a deal on a dual 1.25 or 1.42 G4 on eBay or something.

If you take a look at the buyer's guide, you'll get an idea of what kind of schedule the products are on.

3. Lain thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that Rower_CPU.

Perhaps in the members area the buyer's guide is different, however, I had a look in the normal area before I posted my original question and it seems to be only refering to the G5 PowerMacs.

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

That buyer's guide only deals with current models. Since there won't be any new G4 PowerMacs anymore, they're not on the list.

Browse around eBay and see what people are asking for those older models, or check out the G4's in the online Apple Store.