About to upgrade my eMac Hard Drive..QUick question to those who have done it.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by shadowmoses, Jun 21, 2005.

1. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I am planning to upgrade my eMac hard drive to a seagate 160gb barracuda drive should be very nice and quiet....

My question is--> Do i need to fit any heat pads to it?

As the original has heat pads in place can i simply use them or just slip the new drive in without them..??

If i need pads what exactly are they called so i can ask for them in my local PC hardware store...

Many Thanks,

ShadoW

2. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I'm not sure what you mean by heat pads. As long as you havn't done any severe overclocking to the emac, any drive should work, the emac has more than sufficient cooling. And if I were you and had some knowledge of soldiering I'd overclock it like crazy, or at least put in a small <10Ohm potentiometer to control the fan speed.

3. shadowmoses thread starter macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Doing anything except replacing the HD and optical drive would be beyond me i think....As i have never done any soldering before and am scared i will mess up the white elephant......
    Maybe i'll try in a while but for the mean time the processor is adequete i just need the extra storage.

SHadOW :D

4. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

The potentiometer would be pretty easy, and soldering is no real mystery. If you have any old GPUs or something just buy a $15 100W soldering iron and solder off some little tiny resistors. As for the Potentiometer, all you'd be doing is cutting a wire and puting something in the middle of the two which really only means some wire stripping.