about vitamins

Discussion in 'Community' started by indifference, Feb 9, 2005.

1. indifference macrumors regular

I started taking a vitamin over the summer. I was wondering, what vitamins do you use and can you talk about your experiences with them? Which ones, do you found worked the best, and some of you had said you take some as children, what brands did you use, how did you find them helpful?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It's said that the only vitamin that the human body can't store is Vitamin C.

So if you're eating well (a relative term) you shouldn't need supplements if you're getting enough fruit & veggies each day. Overdosing on a multi-supplement may be harmful in the long run...

I tend to take a multi-supplement on a periodical basis say for a week every month, when I'm tired and feeling run-down & stressed, especially if I've had a week of going out, drinking and not eating well.

In all things, moderation...

...except processor speed & RAM. :)

3. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Lots of qualified, medical people in here will have their opinion; some for, others who aren't convinced that supplements are necessary so long as the person's diet is balanced. Personally, I bought in to Dr. Coopers anti-oxidant argument decades back, and have taken a daily dose of Centrum, 1000 mg of C, and 400 IU of E since the mid eighties. It's seen me through 3 marathons with a minimum of colds and flu. Hasn't helped with hair loss, though ;)
    X

4. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

hey this is an article I found during the summer while I was at work about vitamins.

Vitamin fad could cause early deaths, say scientists

JOHN INNES

CARELESS use of vitamins, taken by millions in the belief that they promote good health, could be causing thousands of premature deaths, scientists have warned.

A study investigating whether antioxidant vitamin supplements can prevent cancer found that rather than saving lives they seemed to increase overall risk of death.

Although the effect was small, it amounted to 9,000 premature deaths per million supplement users. More than 12 million women and eight million men regularly take vitamin supplements in the UK.

The researchers, led by Dr Goran Bjelakovic, from the University of Nis in Serbia and Montenegro, wrote in the Lancet medical journal: "Our results for the detrimental effect of antioxidant supplements on mortality were unexpected."

They cautioned that the findings were preliminary, and may partly be caused by people taking vitamin doses above recommended levels.

The scientists pooled results of 14 trials involving 170,000 participants, which recorded cancers of the gullet, bowel, liver, pancreas and stomach.

In half the trials, categorised as of high quality, there was a small but significant increased risk of premature death among those taking supplements.

Two combinations of supplements were associated with increased mortality.

The risk of death was 30 per cent higher for people taking beta-carotene and vitamin A than for those not taking the combination. For people taking beta-carotene and vitamin E, risk was raised by 10 per cent.

5. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

"Careless" taking is to be considered. Also, heredity doesn't seem to appear in the study. With a father still living at 96 and a mother who made it to 93, I'll stay the course and fight off "free radicals" with my daily intake ;) I also take an Excedrin each morning. Here's to thin plateletes.
    X

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i'm taking none at all but i'm either eating fruits (oranges,kiwis,bananas,pears,apples mainly) or drinking fruit juices (orange or multiple fruit juices ) for vitamins ..tastes much better than swallowing pills or something

but i eat too few meat and too few different kinds of vegetables...

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i take One A Day vitamins because i know my diet is not balanced at all, as it becomes more stable i will stop taking them though

8. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I only take a multi-vitamin on the occasions where my diet is out of whack for more than day or two. If you eat a fairly balanced diet, you shouldn't need them.

Keep in mind that vitamin C and the various B vitamins are all water-soluble, which means that they can't be stored long-term. Taking more than necessary of these will not help you, you'll just pee out the excess and you'll be throwing money away. Anything more than about twice your RDA will not help you at all.

Also, other minerals like calcium have certain interactions with other vitamins. Sometimes two vitamins have to be taken together to work correctly, or one may prevent another from absorbing if taken at the same time.

Unless your doctor recommends that you take a multivitamin supplement, it's usually overkill, like drilling a hole with a shotgun.

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I believe that if you eat a healthy diet consisting of fresh fruits, vegetables, grains, and meats. The fruits and vegetables to be a greater portion. Then vitamins aren't really necessary. I had an anatomy and physiology teacher saying that American's have the most expensive urine. Because A, D, E, & K are fat soluble vitamins which mean they are retained by the body in fat tissue. All the rest are excreted in the urine, the excess amounts. Vitamins have there place when the body is under stress such as with illness and after surgery.

10. mrjikey macrumors member

mrjikey

I had a health teacher this last quarter that was saying taking too much vitamin C will actually start to damage you liver(I think it was), and that the body can only take in so much C in a day whereas the pills contain more than the body can use. So in the end you're paying money for something that's just going to pass through you. That's what he said anyways.

11. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

i heard that one a day can be bad because it has lots of chemicals in it. I could recommend a really good vitamin company to people if they want to konw.

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It's important to follow directions on the vitamin bottle. Mega doses can be dangerous. Vitamins in large doses especially the fat soluble can be toxic, poisonous in large doses. Usually an OTC multivitamin is OK, as always its best to discuss your need for a vitamin with your physician. Also could ask your pharmacist or other health professional for advice.

13. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

there is an organic company called synergy-co.com that a friend recommended. It is a more organic company, and it is one a good friend recommended.

14. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I believe vitamin supplements are a complete waste of money. Obviously their is profit motive for companies to be selling you vitamin pills, which are completely unnecessary and actually harmful. Eating fresh fruits and vegetables each day is all you need to be healthy. Support the farmer, not the multinational corporations.

15. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

All this reminds me of the I Love Lucy bit. Take'm like Lucy did and you can say, "and it tastes good, too". :)
    X

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

17. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I take a B complex pill. It seems to help with the nerve damage a bit.

18. absolutmp5 macrumors regular

well i personally take thiese (link below). My therapist swears by them and i recommend them whenever i can. This is probably the only vitamin availabe with everything you could possible ever need without going out of a huge price range. since the first bottle i have never stopped using them.

http://www.DontForgetToTakeYourVitamins1038.com/Y7

19. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

20. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

We can only store A, D, E & K (i.e. only the fat soluble ones). All the other vitamins are metabolized out or just excreted, however are plentiful in the average diet. It just so happens that C is the "worst" for this, so is given the bad rep.

Over-dosing on vitamin supplements can be very dangerous. Vitamin E for example is a known anti-oxidant so very beneficial however at higher doses it's also toxic.

AppleMatt

21. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

The food we eat is low on nutrients and we need much more than the recommended amounts. It surprises me how eager many of you are to bad-talk vitamins and praise psychiatric drugs. Issues.

22. Angelus macrumors 6502

Personally, I think it's better to find your vitamins by altering your diet. However, if you decide to take vitamin supplements make sure that they are from a reputable source and always remember to take them in moderation, in line with your daily requirements.

People spend so much time talking of vitamin deficiency but they neglect to mention the concept of vitamin toxicity. Any medical text will tell you that Vit.D is toxic in excess and on a point made in a previous post, recent studies have shown that the use of beta carotene in smokers may actually increase your risk your chances of lung cancer.

I don't want to sound as if i'm bashing supplements cos i'm not. Vitamins are vital for maintaining normal body metabolism and function but at the same time we should respect the delicate balance of our bodies.

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The food we eat can be low in nutrients, because we over cook them. It's important to purchase fresh fruits and vegetables. Fresh may cost more than can an frozen food, but it's worth the money for better health. The other problem is over cooking.

http://www.healthrecipes.com/cooking_vegetables.htm

24. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

I mean like as in the way the food is grown. The soil is low on nutrients, the food is much lower quality than in earlier times. Anyone who honestly believes that they're getting enough vitamins from food is completely ignorant.