About your user file in OS X (TEN)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jc0481, Apr 1, 2007.

1. jc0481 macrumors regular

In my user file I am the only user on this computer. I see a couple of applications in this file. I hope you know what I mean you know the home folderwhere your username is the name of the folder. Anyways when I see these files I think wait I already have this same application in my applications folder what's it doing here?? Just was wondering why I have two copies of a couple of these applications? And is it safe to remove them?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks[​IMG]

2. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

You need to describe better what your question is.

User file? What is this and where is it located. What are those applications you mention? Where exactly are they located?

3. jc0481 thread starter macrumors regular

What I meant was

the Home file. You know the name of the folder when you create a new user. For example when I installed my mac I called my new user account "home user". So when I go to the finder and then click on home user account with the home icon. I see the usual folders but then I see extra applications that I already have installed my applications folder. So I have a couple of applications twice. Not sure why. Like I have Roxio Restore app and have this program called task list lite and my torrent download app in the home user folder so why do I have these programs a second time. I have not moved these files just moved it my applications folder. That is all. Hope that helps.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is not a "Home file," it is the Home folder (or directory). Each account on the computer has its own Home folder. It is created when the account is established on the machine. Each Home folder has subfolders for Applications, Desktop, Documents, Library, Movies, Music, Pictures, Public, and Sites. At the root level of your hard drive are folders for Applications, Applications (Mac OS 9) [on PPC computers with Classic installed], Developer [if the Development Tools are installed], Documents, Library, System, System Folder [on PPC computers with Classic installed], and Users. The root level folders provide resourses for all users, but can only be changed by a user with administrative or higher privileges. The resources in your Home folder can only be changed by you. If you have an application in your Home folder's Applications's subfolder, then you installed it. If the application also resides in your global Applications folder, then you installed it in your Home folder unnecessarily.