Abramoff pleads guilty -- DeLay next?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

It's official.

New York Times

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Hip Hip Hooray! Lets hope he takes down a bunch of corrupt Republicans with him!

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This is going to be the political story of 2006.

4. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    Let the rich, corrupt, republican dominoes fall.................

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

But look at the damage all these guys have done to our country, our reputation.
    Wasnt Delay another draft dodger? if so lets hope he goes down. It just kills me how many Republicans in Power were draft dodgers, Bush,Cheney,Hastert,Libby,Rowe, not sure about Delay but the pattern seems to fit, most likely another dodger.

6. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

But outside of this forum, how many Americans would recognize the name "Abramoff"? Not enough, I would imagine, to make this story anything more than a two-minute armchair pundit diversion the evening "news" magazines.

7. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

I agree that all of the corruption and spying and patriot act stuff has been damaging to the worlds view of the U.S. The thing that scares me though is how scandals that involve Democrats(i.e. Blow-J***) can ruin the publics view of the party, yet people who squander money, break laws, spy on people, lie, and take us to war all the while smearing the names of reporters who release bad press about their motives on going to war, continue to have their party be viewed as the more moral of the two.

I can only hope the more draft dodging, money stealing, law breaking republicans that get caught and brought to the publics attention will start to make the neo-conservative, evangelical christian people in the bible belt and the mid-west come to their senses.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Did a look up and guess what? Abramoffs buddy Delay was you guess it! Another Draft Dodger. So ironic that all these chickenhawks who wouldnt serve during Vietnam found it so easy to get us into Iraq and send others to die for stupid policy. This is the tip of the iceberg but i dont think the fed should give him & republican croonies 45 days so they can all come up with the same story. (edit) on a side note why isnt fox promoting this story?

9. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

Haha because if the republicans fail fox will never have any B.S. positive news to report

10. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Just reading the chapter about Abramoff in Franken's new book. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. OK, it could happen to Delay.

11. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

We report, you decide.
    We don't report, you can't decide??????

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Fair and balanced! How you doing tonight.

13. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Doing pretty good, you?

On second thought, after watching the news, I'm doing great.

No flash floods here.
    No wildfires.
    No one trapped in a mine.
    No friends or family in Abramoff's circle.

What more can one ask?

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Crappy day for me, starter went out in the truck and the new one doesnt want to fit. SNAFU! other then that im great.................but you do have that cold cold weather and i dont:D 65 degrees in S.C. today.

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

dems are on that list, too. i can't wait to see how the GOP exploits that.

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

True, but its really a republican problem. Ralph Reed,Hastert,Delay all tied to this guy. Lobbiest allways work with both sides making sure that special interest bill gets passed and we all get a little more shaft.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i don't think so. unless there are zero dems on his list (that's not the case, there are some), it's not a republican-only problem.

i'm guessing that much of the media on this will be dedicated non-proportionally to which dems are on the list. as if it's expected the (R)'s are, but surprising which (D)'s are. it'll be the dems who provide the "staring at the auto wreck" aspect to this story.

18. aquajet macrumors 68020

It's everybody's problem, and ultimately, it's the American people that are getting screwed.

Time to clean the house (no pun intended)

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Dems are guilty too, but I'll bet he takes some neocons down with him. People are used to some corruption from politicians (which is kinda sad), but he's made a deal with the prosecutor, which means maybe he's probably rolled on some people. I have no doubt people like Rush, Hannity, and O'Reily will focus on the Dems. But I'm sure Al Franken will focus on the Repubs.

20. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Anyone interested in reading Abramoff's plea agreement can do so at Talking Points Memo's web page. Great site for those who aren't already familiar with it.

21. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Don't forget the corrupt Dems. They're out there, too.;)

22. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I think the US would be better served if we had a random drawing for all three branches. Im sure anyone could do as well as Bush and most folks arent as corrupt as the millionaire club that run congress.

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

And a random hanging and quartering, too.

24. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Speaking strictly for the part of me that gets intense satisfaction from irony, I think it would be hilarious if the prosecution allowed him to exlusively rat out the naughty Democrats, leaving his bestest buddies unscathed.

I would laugh my head off.

25. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Anybody else here think that given the amount of money Abramoff is tied to on both sides of the aisle in Congress, that he's going to get whacked? Or, at the very least suddenly suffer some sort of mysterious, debilitating/lethal medical condition?