ABS question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by blvdeast, Nov 20, 2003.

1. blvdeast macrumors regular

I didn't make the switch yet but plan to do it by early december, or after that big apple event in december. I plan to keep my PC to just hold some files and to still use windows programs. The setup in my head is, PC Ethernet Port to ABS, Cabel Modem to ABS, Printer to eMac, eMac to wireless ABS. Can I share the printer/internet between both computers?

2. awulf macrumors 6502

I have no idea what ABS is on a computer but you can share the internet and most printers between Mac OS X and Windows XP.

3. blvdeast thread starter macrumors regular

ABS= Airport Base Station, the Airport itself. I saw this used in another post and thought it was the official short hand form

4. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

CAT5 LAN cable is the way to go. about $0.30USD a metre, can't go wrong

5. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Buy a Linksys 4-port wireless dsl/cable router w/ built-in switch instead of the ABS and save yourself a ton of money.

6. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

to actually answer the question (since no one else actually has), yes. But if you do any remote logging in via ssh, or webserver hosting, do yourself a favor and get a wireless router with a decent DHCP server. The one on the ABS (2nd gen, at least) isn't worth crap.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Actually the best, and easiest way to do it is to hook up the printer to and APX-BS and share it that way. That way you could print from either without needing the other to be on or awake.

TEG

8. escap0 macrumors newbie

The answer to your question

Actually, the best answer is:

YES. U can share 2 ways on the ABS.

U can plug your printer into the usb port directly on the base station (if it is an extreme ABS (AEBS))

or

U can enable printer sharing through your preferences in OSX. And have the XP PC find the printer connected to your mac (should show up as a networked printer)