Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rolsskk

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2008
I have the network disconnect issue from time to time .. not sure why. I am running an Airport Extreme ac and a 27" iMac i7 (2011) and the latest iTunes and OS X software.

My biggest complaint is the new remote - hard to scroll through 1400+ movies to find "Zero Dark Thirty". Usually about halfway through the scroll it jumps into the "Genre" column and when I switch back to "All Movies" it starts back at A. What a pain!
I thought that was the point of having Siri on the ATV?

Jodeo

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2003
Middle Tennessee
Wondering if anyone else has serious buyers remorse about the 4th Generation AppleTV. I have had an AppleTV since the beginning (64GB Gen 1, followed by a Gen 3, now a Gen 4). The new one drops connection all the time, Siri NEVER understands what I am saying and even worse, half the time seems disconnected and doesn't process that I am even saying anything. The remote connection drops all the time and I have to restart it at least twice a week. That is on top of all the UI issues, like the white screen backgrounds (hideous) horrible remote interface and stupid app store implementation (why can I only see and get apps when on the AppleTV, not from my phone or desktop)

Have had the box since the 3rd week it came out and am constantly thinking about ripping it out by the wires and replacing it with a 3rd generation box, which worked beautifully for me for 3 years. I don't do that because I feel like I spent $200 on this stupid box and can't return it, so why waste another $70 on another older device to replace it. If Roku or Fire had a decent way to stream my own content via iTunes (I don't like Plex) I would gladly get one of their devices and walk away from this nightmare Apple convinced me to buy.

Anyone else feel similar?

We've had a ton of problems:
* Still cannot find the screen.
* Volume buttons are the remote, yes -- but on on the TV? No. How cheap is that?
* Doesn't fit on standard HDTV wall-mounts, but duct tape helped.
* PRO TIP: Do NOT force rabbit-ear jacks into ANY of those ports on the back. Ow.
* You can forget about setting your VCR on top of it.
* Can't hook up any game systems to it (PS/Xbox/Wii/2600/etc.).

SERIOUSLY THOUGH...
Ours is fine. Recently jacked it to the cable modem/router with ethernet just to try to take back some bandwidth for wifi (didn't help, but hey). The remote is horrible for game play: When playing various games "Voiceover On" comes on and pauses or kills the game. Same with the menu button. So we're ordering a Nimbus controller to get out of that funk. Also, a lot of hate for the new Netflix UI -- but that's not Apple's doing. It's horrible; far worse than before. And the digital audio out for surround sound is gone (and my surround sound system requires that).

Other than that, it just works great. Games are a blast, movies and video are fine, and no issues to report other than the gripes above.

JonPM

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2016
I literally dropped my Apple TV onto concrete and it still runs flawlessly...

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
I have the network disconnect issue from time to time .. not sure why. I am running an Airport Extreme ac and a 27" iMac i7 (2011) and the latest iTunes and OS X software.

My biggest complaint is the new remote - hard to scroll through 1400+ movies to find "Zero Dark Thirty". Usually about halfway through the scroll it jumps into the "Genre" column and when I switch back to "All Movies" it starts back at A. What a pain!
Use Siri. Use the search function.

No reason to not do this especially when you know what you are looking for and are not just browsing through your movies.

OT

But I have my issues with the Siri remote, too. I tend to touch it accidentally in the half dark living room when watching series/movies. It slides under different body parts (legs/arms/butt) on the couch and again it accidentally does something I don't want it to. It also happens to me that I jump one category up/down when browsing movies or messing with the menu. Very sensitive!

Last edited:

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Use Siri. Use the search function.

But I have my issues with the Siri remote, too. It tend to touch it accidentally in the half dark living room when watching series/movies. It slides under different body parts (legs/arms/butt) on the couch and again it accidentally does something I don't want it to. It also happens to me that I jump one category up/down when browsing movies or messing with the menu. Very sensitive!
I'm beginning to realize that Siri can do more useful things with the AppleTV. Last night I was using "turn [on/off] subtitles" (I know one can say, "what did he say", but that covers a normally-very-useful short timespan.

I put a Griffin "Survivor Play" case on the remote, and added Apple's "Remote Loop" entirely as a "tail", not a wrist strap. Now it is easier to find, dead simple to tell which end is which (without looking), doesn't slide around, and it's easier to pick up. And the "tail" makes it harder to lose.

Reactions: Rok73

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
I'm beginning to realize that Siri can do more useful things with the AppleTV. Last night I was using "turn [on/off] subtitles" (I know one can say, "what did he say", but that covers a normally-very-useful short timespan.

I put a Griffin "Survivor Play" case on the remote, and added Apple's "Remote Loop" entirely as a "tail", not a wrist strap. Now it is easier to find, dead simple to tell which end is which (without looking), doesn't slide around, and it's easier to pick up. And the "tail" makes it harder to lose.
Thanks, dude. I will look into your suggestions.

EDIT: Just ordered the Survivor Play. That seems totally useful to avoid the issues that I have. :)
One question though: Is the use of the touchpad limited in any way?

Last edited:

Bigredhunk

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2015
I really love ours (64 GB & 32 GB), save for the apps being behind those for the previous ATV's. I guess that's not an Apple thing, but an app developer thing. Neither HBO GO nor Showtime Anytime have autoplay on the ATV4.

I like to put my favorite shows on as I drift off to sleep. I'll start a Curb Your Enthusiasm on HBO GO, set the TV sleep timer, and off to dreamland it is. With the ATV3 it will play episode after episode continuously until the TV shuts off. The ATV4 will play one episode and then go back to the show's menu. The ATV4 has been out for about 7 months now, and the app developers can't get autoplay going(?) Netflix & Hulu have it. I have no idea why some of the others haven't gotten up to date.

So in my bedroom I keep an ATV3 and/or Amazon Fire TV hooked up, just so I can have the autoplay.

As far as the remote goes, it's touchy. I don't hate it, but it's got its drawbacks. Love Siri (makes getting to a movie or show much faster). I put white hockey tape around the bottom (non touch screen part) of the remote to make it easier to grasp, easier to find, and easier to tell which end is which. Works great. I didn't get the hate for the previous remote. I liked the look and the feel of the aluminum. My only gripes were that it was slick and, given the thinness, easy to lose.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I have yet to upgrade myself. Really all I need my ATV for is to stream YouTube to my TV and maybe a little bit of mirroring with my iOS devices that's about it. My 3rd gen can handle that just fine.

jlehman

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2013
I have an Airport Extreme and a 50MB line. I run a 5GHZ wireless network with about 4 devices (including the AppleTV) running at any given time. I stream from an older pre-intel G5 Tower (the one with the box like the last gen MacPro) that is hardwired to the network and running Leopard and iTunes 10). I would blame it on the old G5, but I also sometimes stream from my Mid-2011 27 inch iMac that is on the latest version of El Cap and iTunes 12.3.3. I also run into issues when not streaming my content and just watching Netflix (I lose internet in brief blips, so it tells me there is an error with Netflix and leaves the show I am watching but can go right back in).

You may already know, thought i'd throw this out there anyway. 5Ghz has less range but better throughput than 2.4Ghz. If the Router and Apple TV are in the same room shouldn't be much an issue. I would put it on 2.4Ghz and see if your problems go away. Also there is something in wireless networking known as quiet client, basically your router's signal can reach the Apple TV but your Apple TV might have trouble talking back to the Router. I currently have my AE downstairs in the basement central to the house and TV in the living room. Also a 50MB line would be huge its probably 50mbps. I have a 30mbps Comcast connection. I really haven't had any issues to complain about with the new Apple TV. Only thing i can think of was it wasn't showing some music that i owned, found out there was a bug or something where it hid explicit songs, even though the box was unchecked (checking and unchecking the box fixed it) Huge upgrade for me coming from a Apple TV 2G.

Reactions: throAU

r8ders2k

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2009
Well, FWIW, I haven't had any problems, after I replaced my 8-port gigabit switch. I have 150 Mbps from Comcast and my ATV4, which is hardwired, gets about 90+. As for VUDU access, it would be nice if a tvOS app was available, but my Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray disc player has its own VUDU app.

Gripes... I just wish that the Speedtest app would remember my last used server and store the results and the myTuner Radio app would let you to create presets or favorites.

Last edited:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I have an Airport Extreme and a 50MB line. I run a 5GHZ wireless network with about 4 devices (including the AppleTV) running at any given time. I stream from an older pre-intel G5 Tower (the one with the box like the last gen MacPro) that is hardwired to the network and running Leopard and iTunes 10). I would blame it on the old G5, but I also sometimes stream from my Mid-2011 27 inch iMac that is on the latest version of El Cap and iTunes 12.3.3. I also run into issues when not streaming my content and just watching Netflix (I lose internet in brief blips, so it tells me there is an error with Netflix and leaves the show I am watching but can go right back in).

If you're running ONLY 5 GHz (i.e., you connect to an SSID that is different to the 2.4 GHz one) try setting up 2.4 Ghz as well.

5 Ghz is faster but it drops off a lot more quickly than 2.4 in terms of speed over distance. It may be that over the distance between your ATV and your Airport, you'll get better performance over 2.4.

Best way to deal with this is to set up both the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks with the same SSID. Then your device(s) will pick the best one. I run this at home and my Macbook will seamlessly jump from one to the other depending on where i am in the house.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Seems allot of people i read online have issues with 4th-Gen... If its not the hardware, its the apps buffering *Netflix i've heard about most often*

I've still got my 3rd Gen, and never had issues, but may try with 4th (again) *yes this will be my 3rd 4th gen* as i send back the other two i was "testing" for few days.

Besides, why did you wait so long to return it ? That's what the 14-day return period is for... I use this for everything. If your un-happy, send it back... I don't wait 1 week if i am not happy with anything, u can be rest assured Apple will know.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Really like mine but I am not a fan of the Roku 4 I bought to watch Amazon Prime and 4K content. I hardly use the Roku.

What don't you like about the Roku? I had a Roku 3 prior to buying the Apple TV (still have it for Amazon Prime). I love the Roku remote, that's actually my favorite thing about it. I hate the Apple TV remote, which is difficult to hold (way too thin and awkward).

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Only trouble with my ATV 4 is the swipe function on the pad. Too sensitive or too little. I reset the sensitivity in settings but it does not respond well. Wish Apple would come up with a better system. Didn't like the ATV 3 remote either. My ATV 4 was an open box purchase, and it works just fine.

Screen Shot 2016-05-23 at 7.38.33 AM.png

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
Love mine, and have also had every gen since 1. Just think the remote is too sensitive and should ignore the first touch as it turns my TV on or something else too often by accident

Reactions: ABC5S

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
I still can't figure out how to scroll without having to constantly swipe swipe swipe swipe. Dumbest idea yet for scrolling down a playlist.

danthepatriot

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2016
Wondering if anyone else has serious buyers remorse about the 4th Generation AppleTV. I have had an AppleTV since the beginning (64GB Gen 1, followed by a Gen 3, now a Gen 4). The new one drops connection all the time, Siri NEVER understands what I am saying and even worse, half the time seems disconnected and doesn't process that I am even saying anything. The remote connection drops all the time and I have to restart it at least twice a week. That is on top of all the UI issues, like the white screen backgrounds (hideous) horrible remote interface and stupid app store implementation (why can I only see and get apps when on the AppleTV, not from my phone or desktop)

Have had the box since the 3rd week it came out and am constantly thinking about ripping it out by the wires and replacing it with a 3rd generation box, which worked beautifully for me for 3 years. I don't do that because I feel like I spent $200 on this stupid box and can't return it, so why waste another $70 on another older device to replace it. If Roku or Fire had a decent way to stream my own content via iTunes (I don't like Plex) I would gladly get one of their devices and walk away from this nightmare Apple convinced me to buy.

[doublepost=1464014779][/doublepost]I have the same issue. Horrible buffering and connection issues. Just bought a bitchin router and still didn't fix it.

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
Hardwired, been working great. The only problem I run into every few weeks are some apps like Crackle stop responding when waking the ATV from sleep and I end up needing to close the app (triple Home button press) to relaunch it. I routinely use: Crackle, PBS, HBO Now, and Home Sharing (for TWiT video podcasts). Having the Griffin Survivor remote cover and Remote Loop make the Siri remote comfortable/easier to use. It's not a perfect device by any means, I still use a Chromecast for streaming from my PC and even from my iPhone. Although, I should try AirPlay some time with the iPhone, I keep forgetting it exists. :(

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
I still can't figure out how to scroll without having to constantly swipe swipe swipe swipe. Dumbest idea yet for scrolling down a playlist.
Then don't swipe, just lightly tap near the edges of the trackpad to perform the up/down/left/right actions.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Yep, i felt the same.
I got one on release day and i had returned it by day 4 and went back to my ATV3.

Mad4WDW

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2010

Mine went back within 2 days of getting it and I'm using Gen 3 which I prefer

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Then don't swipe, just lightly tap near the edges of the trackpad to perform the up/down/left/right actions.
So if I do this, the list will just keep scrolling until I let go of the edge? Like the old ATV remote, I can just hold down the up or down button and the list will keep scrolling. The ATV4 remote can do this too?

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
So if I do this, the list will just keep scrolling until I let go of the edge? Like the old ATV remote, I can just hold down the up or down button and the list will keep scrolling. The ATV4 remote can do this too?
Not quite just continue to tap, stops scrolling when you stop tapping.
Or if you prefer just use the old remote if you have one.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Not quite just continue to tap, stops scrolling when you stop tapping.
Or if you prefer just use the old remote if you have one.
Yeah I still my two remotes. The new ATV remote is just dumb. What a ridiculous design and functionality.

Reactions: tonyr6

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
The new ATV remote is just dumb. What a ridiculous design and functionality.
To a certain extent you can blame all the AppleTV 3 users that preferred to use the iPhone Apple Remote App for that as functionality is pretty much the same with the swiping, at least with the Siri Remote your apple to tap up/down/left/right too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.