Absolutely loving boxee...

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by pamon, Oct 26, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

wow.. what a great service. easy to install once you figure it out and it works completely awesome with hulu. makes the apple tv completely more useful. props to the boxee crew for a great product. not giving invites though, but if you check on an auction site you might find some. GL.

2. macrumors newbie

hi pamon

glad you are enjoying..

you can give out as many invites as you like via boxee website ..login and then just enter your friends email ..

i will also be offering boxee invites just email me at marcel {at}boxee{dot}tv :)

3. macrumors newbie

Love the product! I can't wait to see Netflix streaming! Their player for intel macs is coming today. I know you guys can get that in to boxee.... I hope!

4. macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Boxee invites available through this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=573265

5. macrumors newbie

6. macrumors newbie

Boxee def. the shiz-nit!

I agree, Boxee has been a dream come true. Hulu, CBS and comedy central are my usual sources on it. Other than a clunky browsing system Boxee uses and the inability to PAUSE south park (and prob. any other comedy central video), there aren't any negatives, and Boxee is only in ALPHA!

Every one should grab a hold of Boxee and toss it on their Apple TVs. Definitely worth it... Do it Do it Do it!

If and when Netflix streaming arrives for Boxee, the game will completely change...

7. macrumors regular

not so excited about Boxee here, outside the USA. :/

8. macrumors newbie

Netflix working on Boxee & AppleTV

I got Boxee to stream Netflix on the Apple TV. I used MediaMall's PlayOn running it's server on a PC. I could then see the service in the Boxee menu. Only problem was I broke PlayOn when I switched to Silverlight to be able to stream Netflix on my Mac. They are working on a fix though.

9. macrumors 6502a

so with boxee you can stream shows to watch on your tv?
    i just moved and haven't purchased a television provider, just been watching shows on my MBP. have been thinking about an ATV for a while.
    iirc, you have to have a thumbdrive to put the boxee programming on your ATV, then you're good to go? how exactly does streaming work?
    what additional parts do you need to get the ATV setup to work with your tv? sorry if these are dumb questions.

thanks!

10. macrumors 68020

theBB

I have not tried streaming, yet. I assume once you share your files, Boxee can locate them in your home network fairly easily.

For "local" files, aTV does not mount thumbdrives or USB hard drives unless you hack it further. I just copied a divx file over to aTV's harddisk via the wireless network (through scp command in terminal) and Boxee played it properly. It was taking a long time to copy a ~600MB video file on my cheap thumbdrive anyways, so having to copy it over the network was not that bad.

11. macrumors newbie

Yes, NAS works fine with Boxee

I have the DNS-323 NAS with two 750GB drives running in Raid 1 for 1.5TB of space. I added TwonkyVision UPnP server software. You can get this for a lot of NAS devices, PC, etc. Then Boxee can see the NAS and stream all media just fine from it over 802.11n. It even find the movie directory and added information for movie titles automagically. Great software. Now if I can just figure out how to get Netflix to play again. Darn I wish they'd give the option to switch back to the old DRM. It did work with the PlayOn software on the PC before.

12. macrumors member

Boxee

Boxee is a must have addition to your ATV! Sheesh, now I don't have any reason to leave my couch. My pizza should be here soon, got to go.

13. macrumors regular

I signed up and installed the software on my Mac but haven't taken the plunge to put it on the Apple TV. I've never added any software to it before and don't have any clear instructions. Is it easy for an intermediate user?

14. macrumors newbie

ATV Flash is fast and easy but not cheap

I used ATV Flash. There are good instructions on making your own patchstick too. I know some who tried and failed. So you have to decide if it's worth it for your time and effort in exchange for the price. Nice thing is you get free upgrades for a year and they continue to add support. They added Boxee not long ago and now I hear that soon they will be adding the Flash and Netflix streaming support too.

http://www.atvflash.com/?gclid=CNqa-MK_45YCFRqgnAodrXIdNw

15. macrumors 68020

theBB

Very easy. The instructions are a bit scattered, but it went very smoothly for me and I would quit almost immediately. Here is the instructions I followed with some of my notes in parenthesis:

1. download the ATVUSB-Creator from http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/
    2. insert a “bootable” USB drive into your Mac
    (Make sure your thumbdrive is erased into MacOS extended format. You can use Disk Utility for that.)
    3. run the ATVUSB-Creator and select which plug-ins you’d like to install
    ( I just went with whatever defaults it had and hit "Create Using DMG" button at the bottom)
    4. remove the USB drive and plug it into your Apple TV
    5. power on your Apple TV and the patchstick will run the ATV bootloader
    6. after the bootloader finishes, remove it and restart your Apple TV
    7. it now has options for Boxee / XBMC on the main menu
    8. click on Boxee, then select update
    (First select and update/install the updater from the list and then select update/install Boxee software)
    9. once boxee is done installing, restart your Apple TV
    11. click “Boxee”, then select “Boxee” in the sub-menu to start boxee.

16. macrumors newbie

Really enjoy Hulla too,the only thing I`m wondering,is everyone
    experiencing the sooo slow download times on Torrent movies,looks like about
    a week for the two I`ve got qued (sp obviously)

Is Couchsurfer and NitoTV must have plug-ins too,anyone?:)

17. macrumors newbie

Does anyone have a Boxee invite they could share?

I need a Boxee invite. If anyone wouldnt mind sharing it would be a huge help.

ensignawesome@gmail.com

Thanks!
    -Jim

18. macrumors newbie

19. macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

20. macrumors newbie

I have boxee installed, but can't seem to find hulu or CBS as a video source.

I've got some of the others, but something is odd.

21. macrumors member

update the Launcher, not just boxee. :)

22. macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

And update the launcher, then boxee. Always update the launcher first.

23. macrumors regular

serpico

Finally got boxee installed this morning. I browsed the menu and settings but still have not been able to add a shared folder from my iMac. I have SMB running and added the shared folder where the media resides in. I'm in Canada, so I guess Hulu doesn't work. Any work around?

24. macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

sell me on boxee

25. macrumors 6502a

Watch pretty much any TV show on-demand. It's like having a TiVO of unlimited size in the "cloud."