Abstinence only education! Or else...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Taft, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

This article on Salon alleges that the Bush administration is engaging in a campaign against centers that provide sex education other than abstinence only education.

The full article is here: http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2003/10/28/abstinence/index.html You do, however, need a premium subscription to view the whole article.

Here is a pretty good excerpt:

Taft

2. Taft thread starter macrumors 65816

Taft

I think this sucks!

Besides promoting a method of education that has been absolutely unproven to work, Bush, his administration, and fanatical religious influences are trying to crush agencies which promote comprehensive sex education. You know, those agencies that teach abstinence and condom use. Agencies such as Advocates for Youth. This reallly pisses me off.

A person I know is currently doing research on effective ways to teach HIV prevention to mentally and developmentally challenged youths. The program was launched to curb the spread of HIV and other STD's under the Clinton administration.

Since the Bush adminitration has been in office, my friend says that tons of roadblocks have been put up. In many cases this means that her research lab has had to wait for funding and jump through hoops to get approvals. This has severely impacted my friend's study. My friend also expects audits in the upcoming year, as many other research labs in the field are now being routinely audited.

Any guesses as to why my friend's lab is being treated this way? The lab was never treated this way under the Clinton administration, so why are they being treated like second class researchers and possible criminals now?

Its simple: because the goal of my friend's study is to find effective means to educate challenged youths on ways to maintain safe behavior. This behavior includes condom use, partner selection, etc. Bush and Co. don't like this. Nevermind that the study will likely recommend abstinence as one of the ways to remain safe.

This administration continues to make decisions which directly contradict evidence and the realities of the world. You can be damn sure I'll be working hard during the next election to make sure this Very Bad Man is not elected again.

Taft

3. Code101 macrumors newbie

I think this is the only way.

Go President Bush!

4. Taft thread starter macrumors 65816

Taft

What is the only way? Abstinence only education?

Do you have any evidence that abstinence only education works? Do you have any evidence against comprehensive sex education (which would include proper condom use)? Do you have any backing whatsoever for you claim?

<edit>
    BTW, if you were planning on citing the Journal of the American Medical Association's study regarding abstinence only education, don't bother. Right-wing organizations have been misrepresenting the "virginity pledge" component of that study since its release. Besides concluding that virginity pledges delay sexual activity in teens who take them, they also concluded that:

1. The pledges generally don't work for those under 14 or over 17.
    2. They don't work in communities where over 30% of teens took a pledge. (ie. they don't hold up in a random population).
    3. The teens who broke their pledge were far less likely to practice safe sex behavior which could actually increase the likely hood of unwanted pregnancy and the spread of disease.

</edit>

Taft

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

virgin?