Absurd PS3 wireless problem

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

This is utter madness.

http://www.aeropause.com/archives/2006/09/fcc_ps3_papers.php

Document in question is here.

I mean if (urgh I'd hate to say this) computers can transmit WiFi and Bluetooth at the same time then why not this? It's a bit fishy. A bit crazy.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Must be BS. simply must be.. :eek:

I'm sure sony have something like 'interference robustness' like macs do.

3. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

This would be absolutely disasterous. If Sony has overlooked this error, then they would be making a HUGE mistake, but hey, given the influx of bad Sony news for the past few weeks, I wouldn't be surprised.

4. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Man, that's insane.

I don't think Sony is that dumb… are they?

5. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    If this is true, then it's definitely going to cause my decision to purchase one to be a negative. Though, how can you play a game online without the bluetooth interfacing with the controller?

It's either BS, or Sony is really screwing things up.

6. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

I'd guess that they alternate in milliseconds-long bursts. Is that possible with wi-fi? It's silly to think that Sony designed their console in a way that prevents being online and using the controllers at the same time. They've made some risky decisions, but...:rolleyes:

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah exactly? That's just totaly mad and simply must be from a design doc that was misprinted or somthing. If not it's the biggest design flaw EVER !!!

8. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

I don't understand, I use my iMac with a wifi connection, and I use BT Mighty Mouse and BT keyboard, and it all works fine...:confused:

9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Is Sony offering a wired controller option on the PS3? I assumed you could use the PS1/2 controller for most of the games, since, you know, they are EXACTLY THE SAME, but haven't followed anything about the PS3 since the price announcement at E3...

I can't see how this would be an issue, since pretty much every Mac, PDA, and PC laptop all have BT and WiFi without trouble, including I am sure Sony laptops and Clies...

However, it would indeed really be the toilet paper icing on the crap cake the PS3 is turning into.*

*Yes, I just made that up. Sosume.

10. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Just as well, the document was published on 9/11/2006. Meaning this is fairly recent. Shouldn't they have something like this worked out already?

I'm really hoping that's a typo, or a fake.

11. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Purr?

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

what makes this rumor (so far it's nothing more) so bad is that even if wifi working alternating with blue tooth that if you take lots of blue tooth devices into account that you either are reducing online bandwith/latency or _controller_ latency

that aside if you have other wireless devices nearby you of course get more problems if they use the same channels/frequencies

and if it's worse with deactivating components or something like that, then of course sony can say good bye to another few consoles sold

it has 4 ports on front for connecting the wireless controllers but i haven't heard anything about reusing old ps2 controllers

13. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Apparently (in the Kotaku post for this), the system does rapidly switch between BT and Wifi. I'm sure that would cause latency issues myself. I suppose we'll see.

14. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, this is one of those things that's going to either work, or not. I have to assume it works, else they wouldn't have done it.

Even if they cut bandwidth in half, 50% of full 802.11g is overkill for most residential broadband...

15. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Blasphemy! It's sosumi, with an i!

16. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

well even if there was a design problem, Sony could fix it...cuz ya know they havent started production yet...I mean... its only like 2 months away from launch but no need to rush right Sony? :rolleyes:

17. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Huh? :confused:
    Where can I get me some residential broadband at 27mbps (1/2 of the 802.11g rated 54mbps)? Where where where!!! I've gotta live there!

Here in the states, I haven't seen anything (cable or dsl) rated higher than 10mbps (which is cable; I've seen dsl at 6mbps).

18. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

This is really probably just a technical issue that end users wouldn't ever even notice. I highly doubt it's a problem during actual use.

It's most likely just a technical hurdle that they have a software solution (and/or hardware) for but still have to point it out in the docs for the FCC.

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Sounds like BS...But if it is not I hope they work it all out..the PS3 bad news is becoming really dumb now..will they report on the PS3 color chipping.

Bless

20. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

You'd think they would've known about something this rudimentary in their product testing phase before production. :rolleyes: I'm not buying one myself but come on...no one's dumb enough to miss a flaw like this.

21. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

:confused: That's what I was saying - half of 802.11g is plenty for a broadband connection... so even if they only are broadcasting wifi 50% of the time, there is still plenty of room for an internet connection to be fully saturated, so people likely won't notice that bit.

On the other hand, will a standard router support having it's signal pulsed like that?

22. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

What kind of BT TRANSMITTING will a PS3 need to do?
    Shouldn't it be spending all it's time RECEIVING?

23. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Oh, true.

24. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

there's no way this could be true. every other device on earth that has both can use both at the same time; and it's not like it would save them money either since they still have to put both components in. BS

25. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I've said it before and I'll say it again - leave the US sometime ;) The further east you go, the more bandwidth you get :D