AC adapter for Europe

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by UVAMorton, Feb 22, 2006.

1. UVAMorton macrumors newbie

I'm taking a trip next month to Berlin (after two solid years without a vacation!), and I'll be bringing my Powerbook to offload the pictures from my camera each day.

I'm going to need an AC adapter, but I don't know that much about them and I'm paranoid that I'll end up frying my powerbook. Between the outlet adapter and the powerbook adapter my baby should be safe, right?

Thanks,
    Tim

2. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

This topic has come up a few times recently - if you do a search, you should find some of the threads.

The general consensus seems to be that the AC adaptor that comes with your PowerBook is sophisticated enough to cope with the change in voltage, so there is no need to get a new one.

All you will need is the plug adaptor so the plug will fit in the socket.

3. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Belkin do a handy universal adapter

*note it'll only change the pin-out, not change the voltage

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I am using my USA-bought Powerbook in France, with only a pin adaptor bought at Carrefour. No problems at all; the AC brick may be a tiny bit warmer than it was in the US, but if so, it's only slightly. Hope this helps.

5. UVAMorton thread starter macrumors newbie

6. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

You should find cheap pin adaptors in any airport that'll fit most pins, but won't change voltage.

Much to my surprise though, a lot of devices can handle both. My phone, iPod, rechargable battery etc. chargers all state 100-240v.