ac power port problem!!!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by reneauds, Aug 25, 2005.

1. reneauds macrumors newbie

Aug 22, 2005
    help, 1st a recap. i had my powerbook g4 17" charging when i tripped on the cord and yanked it. the tip was broken off so i bought a new "refurb" ac adapter. it won't go in. inside the ac port is a metal part, i don't know if its from the ac adapter or part of the inside of the port that got loose, it won't come out and i can't charge. anybody know somebody or someplace that i can take the laptop to get it fixed? i live in diamond bar, by pomona but work in monterey park. california by the way. help!!!!!
  2. reneauds thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 22, 2005
    i guess i'll have to. i just figured it would be extra expensive there.
  3. macEfan macrumors 65816

Apr 7, 2005
    Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    Can U use a pair of pliers and pull the metal thing out?
  4. pammyspyce macrumors regular

Jul 29, 2005
    Bay Area, Calif
    Silly Putty... stick it in and hope it pulls the tip out. :D Just kidding, I would NOT try that. I'm betting one of the geniuses at the Apple store will be able to get it out on the spot and probably for free.
  5. reneauds thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 22, 2005
    i tried, but its a flat piece of metal, and i didn't want to force it too much. not sure if is piece of plug of inside of port. should i force it and yank it?
  6. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    LOL. The tip broke off the power adapter, you find a little piece of metal in the spot where the power adapter goes, and you're questioning if it's the tip from the adapter? It most very well is, and I've heard of this problem before. I think they can help you or give you a tip at the Apple Store. If not, try a toothpick with super glue on the end. Stick it in and let it bond to the tip, then try to pull it out.
  7. reneauds thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 22, 2005
    thanks for the sarcasm. the part i see in the whole is flat. doesn't look at all like the tip which would be circular if its hollow. thanks. :confused: