Acadamy awards

Discussion in 'Community' started by MetallicPenguin, Feb 29, 2004.

1. MetallicPenguin macrumors 6502

Looks like the awards are here. Anyone else see Billy Crystal's opening video? Then Finding Nemo won an award and the director thanksed a couple of people including Steve Jobs.

2. evil macrumors 6502

id rather stick my thumb up my bum than watch that stupid show.
    and trust me. its not a regular occurence.

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

thats what they all say... ;) i have it turned on as background noise while i study...

4. MetallicPenguin thread starter macrumors 6502

Besides the beginning it's been stupid, it's really the first time I've watched it. :eek:

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I enjoyed the video by Billy Crystal. He always has a unique opening.

Very happy for "Finding Nemo."

It was great that they took the time to honor our soldiers, they deserve our thanks.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I don't watch the show, just look at the results afterward. Its really more of waste of time, and its pretty much the same every year, just with different movies. That and it somehow manages to get longer every year :D

Although I have to say I managed to see a lot of the nominees this year.

D

7. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Boy, I must be the only person here who likes to watch the show...thought the opening video was funny. I'm a major movie lover tho'.

Good for Finding Nemo, but they were a shoe in. I thought the short animated film oscar was a suprise. I expected Boundin' to win, but hey, I havent seen it.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I also enjoyed watching the show agreenster. My wife and I enjoyed it together. I will admit that we haven't seen any of the nominated films. We wait to watch movies after they come out on DVD. Watched the 1st two "LOTR" movies. Anxious for the 3rd film to come out on DVD.

9. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

I watch it because it's usually just fun (especially with Billy Crystal hosting). The video at the beginning was hilarious. I wish I had taped it. ;)

I was kinda surprised that LOTR sweeped (although I did expect them to win most of their noms), but not really surprised. After all, the Academy intentionally overlooked Peter Jackson and Crew for the first two films because it made more sense to give them the major awards for the last one.

My one real disappointment (other than losing my Oscar pool) was how Sean Penn stole the Best Actor award from Bill Murray. Penn will probably win another Oscar during his career, but this was probably Bill's one chance to win one (other than a lifetime achievement award).

Anyway, my two cents. ;)

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

billy crystal has become the oscars ;)

it was a good night for lord of the rings which i found enjoyable

i did like the last samurai and seabiscuit more and they, like most other movies, got beat out by lord of the rings

i certainly have to give it to all the great costumes and sets of that epic movie but i would have liked to see liv tyler in the third movie more

11. janey macrumors 603

janey

if you havent done so yet, i suggest you see 21 grams and mystic river, because SEAN PENN TOTALLY ROCKED!!!

12. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Perhaps after the accolades he has received for this role he might take himself seriously and avoid roles like Osmosis Jones, which was straight to video over here. And besides not winning one doesn't make you any less of a legend. Peter O'Toole and Hitchcock only received honary awards though both had countless nominations, and I wouldn't consider their work substandard to their peers.

Conversely there have been some right dogs who've won. Blake Edwards getting one for only ever doing 2 things:
    1 - Breakfast at Tiffany's
    2 - Being the bloke who was behind the camera when Peter Sellars was in front
    The rest of his work was shameful.

Bill's got time. He'll do a Jerry Lewis and get a second wave of respectability, only better.