academic and retail Q's

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fadetoblack86, Jan 30, 2006.

1. fadetoblack86 macrumors newbie

so what is the difference between the academic and retail versions? (mainly final cut studio)

now i heard about licencing and a splash thing, but i need more in depth...

Like is the licence, on selling the video you edited or putting FCS on mulitiple computers?

what is the splash thing exactly?

Limitaions on the academic vs retail?

any other info will be most appreciative. thanks

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

The splash screen is the little window that comes up while the application is loading. Lots of apps have a similar window, including MS Office, Photoshop, etc. Anyway, on the educational versions, that splash screen says that it's an educational version. Possibly embarrassing if you're using the software professionally and a client sees that.

You're not allowed to put FCS on multiple computers, although there may be an exception for a laptop and a desktop both to be used by the same person.

As for selling your videos, I could find no such restriction in Apple's terms for educational discounts. Other companies do have such restrictions, but so far as I can tell, not Apple. If anyone knows otherwise (and I mean knows, not just thinks), please let me know.

From a functionality/features standpoint, the education version and the regular version are exactly the same.

3. howesey macrumors 6502a

My copy of Logic Express licence agreement is no different to the retail. All it has about eduacational versions is that you must be attending or working at an academic facility in order to use the software. It does say I cannot use it for air traffic control, life support machines or in nuclear facilities. I do not know why you would want to use Logic for a life support machine, perhaps they run off MIDI where a bass drum beat pumps the heart :confused: .

4. fadetoblack86 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the info!!!

yeah so if i get the academic version, i'll be able to use Final Cut Studio for school and then after school, i'll be able to use the Final Cut Studio for my personal and professional needs as well right?

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Check through the license agreement carefully. You may be restricted to using the software while you're a student only. Besides that, after school, there will be new versions of FCS out, and you might well want to upgrade.

6. fadetoblack86 thread starter macrumors newbie

cool cool!!!
    thanks for clearing that up for me...

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Don't be daft. They use AIFF.