academic aperture or retail?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by plunar, Dec 25, 2006.

1. plunar macrumors 6502

plunar

i'm asking because i notice the academic version says "not eligible for upgrades" is it going to cost more in the long run?

2. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

What do you plan to do with it? Are you going to sell any of the work you make in it? If you are, you know your suppose to go retail.

3. plunar thread starter macrumors 6502

plunar

hardly. i'm an amutuer that just needs better raw workflow management than iphoto can offer. stuff like my christmas photos

4. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Go for the academic version. The discount is pretty substantial, and even if not eligible for upgrades, the price of any new academic version is likely to be similar, if not less than the retail upgrade price. Plus, you're less money out initially.

5. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

Agreed, especially condiering you're not a professional- no reason to pay retail- so long as you're actually a college student/edu worker.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Take advantage of that student discount and it sounds like your needs do not require the standard priced one.

7. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

Can anyone confirm that the academic edition is not feature-limited in any way? Usually Apple educational software is identical, but I'd just like to confirm.