Academic Mac deals excludes refurbs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PaulinMaryland, Jul 20, 2006.

1. PaulinMaryland macrumors regular

PaulinMaryland

Last night I ordered a MacBook and iPod Nano for my daughter, who will be entering college in August. I knew that Apple had academic prices and refurb prices. What I didn't realize what that there's no such thing as an academic discount on refurbished goods.

Here were the choices:

$1099 MacBook white basic
    $1049 MacBook white basic Academic price
    $0949 MacBook white basic refurb

I was expecting a fourth choice:

$0899 Macbook white basic refurb Academic price

I also expected to find an entire Academic price list for all refurbed products.

So I ended up buying a mix of new products at the academic price and refurbs at the "everyone else" price. For example, I picked up a pair of AirPort Extreme base stations at $150 each as refurbs, rather than buy them new at the $175 apiece academic price.

Also:

You know the $169 rebate that Academic buyers of the MacBook get toward the purchase of a Nano? Well, the Nano must be new; you can't apply the rebate toward a $169 4GB Nano refurb. So I kicked in $50 or $60 of my own money to get a new 4GB Nano.

I realize that many of you had figured this out by reading the FAQs and so on. I just wanted to give a heads-up to those who may not know.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yeah its one "sale price" or the other, cannot combine the two.

and depending on what you're looking at the refurb prices could be better than the edu. prices, but you're not getting a "new" item either.

:: shrugs ::