Academic Pricing to end?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sierra oscar, Apr 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

Hello everyone,

I'm in the market for a new portable - so I was sort of hoping I could get a discount on a 17" powerbook given the new MacBook Pro is out - so I was browsing a local outlet and the salesperson and I struck up a conversation. The short of it all - he stated to me that Apple (Australia) were going to stop academic pricing near the end of the year - and that he got that 'rumour' from the rep (this place is a reseller).

I was a bit shocked at this thought... as I'm hoping to purchase soon - but I didn't want to be rushed into it. But it does ring a bit 'possible' IMHO as there is a levelling now with boot camp etc.

My apologies if this issue has been raised elsewhere - I did do a search but couldn't find anything.

Anyone know anything about this? or have opinions?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

This was discussed previously here. No consensus was reached, and different dates were tossed around...first March 31st, then April 28th. Now you're saying the end of the year.

The previous rumor said that you'd be able to get academic pricing through Apple, but not resellers.

3. sierra oscar thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the link WildCowboy - I used the 'search' function - but it came up with nothing of relevance (twice). I'm not sure if I can delete this post now - or a moderator has to do it now there is a reply....mmm....

4. After G macrumors 68000

After G

When I bought my new Mac, the discount seemed smaller somehow.
    But still, I didn't pay tax :D

5. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

This is what is happening here in Belgium.
    I have no idea when they chose to do this. If you want a discount; use the apple store (online that is in .be).

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, I remember someone mentioning this before. He got all his facts wrong, and despite a huge push by Apple into the educational market in February, he claimed that the discount would end by April.

I don't know. I keep hearing these rumours, but why would they only do this to Australian Apple resellers? I haven't heard other rumours regarding other countries where this was going to happen. :confused:

7. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

In Belgium, and it's a fact, not rumor.

8. sierra oscar thread starter macrumors 6502

You know, I got this feeling browsing the edu pricing last night. The current discounted prices didn't seem to be what they used to be. Perhaps the % discount has already been reduced? Perhaps Apple consider they will get so many 'switchers' they no longer have to offer any incentive to higher ed users.

...this move though (if true in Australia soon) will price me out of the market

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.