accent chart?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dorqiekat, Oct 4, 2004.

1. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2004
    does anyone know how to make accents? Is there like a chart which tells you what keys to use to create them? I'm in french this quarter and have a wee bit of a problem with writing. Thanks.
  2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    Mentioning oyur Mac OS version helps at times like this :)

If you have Panther, go into System Preferences, click on International, then the Input Menu tab. Add a check box to Keyboard Viewer, and you might also want to add Character Palette and the U.S. Extended keyboard and play with them at some point. (I'm assuming you're in the US here...).

In older Mac OS, look for and start the Key Caps program, it does the same thing as the Keyboard Viewer.

The Keybord Viewer will clue you in on how to type things. If you press the option key, you'll notice that a few keys are highlighted with white squares. Those are your accents. So, to produce á, you would type option-e, then a.
    There are other characters you'll see show up when you press option or shift-option.

You can lose the viewer once you get the hang of it, those work anyway.

The U.S. Extended layout I mentioned will give you more possible characters, but it only works with newer programs that can handle Unicode. Likewise, the Character Palette will show you some characters that don't necessarily work in all applications. For French, the normal US keyboard should do all you need.
  3. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2004
    thanks for the help. I have panther, I was so desperate for help needing to finish my french hw that I skimped on the details. :rolleyes:
  4. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2004
    London, UK
    Here are all the accents you will need for French:
    é = option + e and then the letter "e" again
    è = option + ` (the key right under the Escape key) and then "e"
    î = option + i and then the "i" key
    ü = option + u and then the "u" key
    ç = option + c
    These key combos work for all of the letters that use the particular accent (i.e. à = option + ` and then "a", ê = option + i and then "e")