accented chars in filenames

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dragon2611, Dec 26, 2006.

1. dragon2611 macrumors regular

as title is there a way to get osx to accept accented chars in filename.

im getting fedup of renaming mp3's just to get them to ftp over to the mac mini (i'd usally use a usb harddrive to transfer but for some reason it keeps causing my pc to lockup but thats an entirely different issue)

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

OS X doesn't care if there are accented chars in the filename. Almost any Unicode character is permissible, including accented characters, Chinese, Katakana / Hiragana, Hangul, Devanagari, etc, etc.

Are these files that have accented names in Windows? That might be where the problem comes in. I don't think Windows uses unicode to allow for this. Or it could be FTP that's messing you up.

This may be too obvious, but have you tried putting the songs in a zip file and then FTP'ing the zip file, to see if the accents survive inside the zip?

Here's an example from my iTunes folder, FWIW:

[​IMG]

I just wanted to also mention that this thread discusses what seems to be the same issue, but I didn't see a resolution. I didn't see that they tried zip files either, though.

3. dragon2611 thread starter macrumors regular

ive tryed a archive before im pretty sure it didnt like extracting it because of the accented filenames, i know they've always caused me problems.

Usually id just copy the stuff onto the usb drive and not use FTP but for some reason its causing the pc to lockup, although the mac did have a bit of bother with it earlier when i tryed to wipe the drive and reformat it, then it worked makes me wander if its my pc playing up or the drive/caddy.

i know which one id like to be the culprit there but knowing my luck it wont be the caddy (cheapest thing out of all of them to replace)

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, I don't have PC access at the mo' to try. If zip's won't work, then have you tried serving part of the Mac's HD over the network and mounting it on the PC? Or vice versa?

5. dragon2611 thread starter macrumors regular

To be honest i think im going to see if theres a script i can run on the pc to take those accented chars out, they serve no real usefull purpose as far as im concerned.

A batch renamer could probably do it, if i can find one that either has the option to do it or a powerfull enough find/replace feature that it can configured to do it.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Maybe this? You may have to make your own rule for each accent character, but that should only take a few minutes....