Acceptable CPU heat?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Peter Griffin, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Peter Griffin macrumors regular

I was wondering what an acceptable temperature would be for the CPU. I run an iBook and I get the feeling that the CPU is overheating because there is not enough ventilation. I'm averaging around 55 C on normal usage.

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

3. BlueT macrumors member

Maybe that's a difference between Powerbooks and iBooks. My Powerbook usually runs 114 F, or 46 C...a couple degrees hotter if I use an external monitor, and about 52-55 C if I'm watching a movie or playing a game.

The fan kicks on at 47 C, and kicks off at 45 C. Buy an iLap (it's 50 bucks, so it's not exactly cheap, but definitely worth it if you value comfort). If that's too expensive, then I would suggest buying a sheet of metal that covers the base of your computer (it helps dissipate the heat faster; but only buy a good conducter).

Though, I gotta be honest, 55 C all the time seems a bit high. I would also try getting ministat2 (a widget) to monitor your battery temperature more closely. Before I got the iLap, my battery was always hovering at 95-96 F, which is too hot (it kills the long term usage). Now it's at 89-90, which isn't a huge difference, but puts the temperature in a range that's acceptable for Lithium Ion batteries.

4. Peter Griffin thread starter macrumors regular

I do use ministat and currently my iBook is at 59 C. I'm getting a bit worried because I don't hear a fan going. I only got this iBook 2 days ago and have never heard the fan turn on. Is there any way to check if my fan works?