Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waggers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
I want to write a simple program to run on a Mac that can access files on an iPad connected via USB. Any pointers to information how I would go about this would be appreciated.
Do I need to use iOS SDK? Does any software need be installed on the iPad to do this?

Waggers

Hope I've posted in the correct forum:confused:

jiminaus

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Sydney
How does DiskAid manage it? And iTunes come to that...

iTunes can do it because Apple knows the wire protocol. Perhaps the creators of DiskAid know it too. But that wire protocol is not general knowledge. Nor is there any API in the iOS SDK that allows this.

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
You can acces your files of a special application, within his sandbox, for example, you call your app AWESOMEAPP.
And you do all the programming to acces the files within the app.
Then in Itunes, you can put files in there or get them off, but only within your sandbox.
If they do something else --> hypocricy of Apple, allowing stuff that normal developers don't, which is very rare.
So, be sure what you are saying OR try to explain a tad better.

waggers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
You can acces your files of a special application, within his sandbox, for example, you call your app AWESOMEAPP.
And you do all the programming to acces the files within the app.

Specifically yes, they're the only files I wish to access from my Mac. Is there any documentation as to how one does this?

Since my first post I've also found Macroplant's Phone Disk which almost does what I need - it even allows access to the iPad in Terminal. Unfortunately with both Phone Disk & DiskAid the timestamp gets reset when copying files from the Mac->iPad (though it doesn't in the other direction) even using Unix cp -p. iTunes doesn't change the timestamp, but then I can't easily put the files where I want them with iTunes.
More specifically, I just want to sync files between iPad-Mac, which is difficult if the timestamp gets altered.

Waggers

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Specifically yes, they're the only files I wish to access from my Mac. Is there any documentation as to how one does this?
No. Apps that do this are either using Apple's private APIs that iTunes uses, or they've reverse engineered the protocol and are talking to the device themselves.

More specifically, I just want to sync files between iPad-Mac, which is difficult if the timestamp gets altered.
Dropbox?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.