Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
Hi,

On most forums, the submit button has an access key tag on it (most of the time its s).
This makes it very easy submit a new post/topic by hitting ctrl+s (alt+s on windoze)

here is an example of what the code looks like.

Code:
<input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Submit" accesskey="s" />

Considering the mods done on Vbulletin already, this should be pretty easy!

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
Thank you!

Is there any chance this could get turned back on? lol

:D

If they hit it by mistake isnt that what the edit button is for?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
If they hit it by mistake isnt that what the edit button is for?

People are much more likely to just start over with a new post...the number of incomplete posts scattered around here really was quite irritating. It's certainly much better now, so I'd vote against reinstating it. (Then again, I don't use that method anyway, so I'm not losing anything by having it disabled. ;) )

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Just use (one) tab to get to the submit button and then hit space... much easier than ctrl-s or alt-s or whatever, anyway... :)

That's the other major source of incomplete posts...people hit tab trying to get an indent in the text box, and they end up submitting their post prematurely.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The posts above are correct. In our judgment, accidental posts were too often a problem for us to re-enable the control-s/alt-s feature that lets you use keypresses rather than having to click Submit.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
The biggest problem was in the troubleshooting forums where there were countless doubled threads from people who'd accidentally submitted their question before it was completed. Disabling this feature has made navigating that area much easier. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.