Access music files on Windows PC

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mark_275, Jul 1, 2005.

1. mark_275 macrumors newbie

Forgive me if this is a repeat, I searched but didn't find an answer.

I'm new to OS X and I've set up my iBook to wirelessly access the shared folders on my Windows PC through the gateway. All of my music files are on the PC. How can I play music on the iBook without copying the files from the PC to the iBook. Every time I try and play a song OS X copies the file from the PC to the Mac and then plays it. I'm running OS X 10.2. Thanks for any help.

2. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Go to itunes and check the prefernce for importing, and uncheck the "copy files when adding to library" option.

3. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

Just a couple of suggestions.

I would recommend storing your music on your Mac. That's what I did when I switched and it turned out to be a great idea.

Also have you checked out OS X 10.4? It is well worth the upgrade. Here is a link to Apple's 10.4 main web page: http://www.apple.com/macosx/

I switched when 10.2 (Jaguar) was out and I upgraded to both 10.3 (Panther) and 10.4 (Tiger). I highly recommend it to everyone. As my friend (who is a Windows user but wants a Mac) says the comparison of Panther to Tiger is like comparing DOS to GUI.

Panther was already great but Tiger is even better.

4. mark_275 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't believe it was that easy! What an idiot I am!! Thanks for the response, that worked like a charm.

5. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Yup. Just check the prefs before anything. Thats how I found it...