Access my iMac remotely, and use iSight as surveillance cam

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by M. Malone, May 8, 2006.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

(it's 1 am, and I'm really sleepy, but can I do this?)

I will be traveling overseas soon, I have a PowerBook and an Intel iMac, I want to be able to access some files from my PowerBook while I'm away, and at the same time, can I use the iSight in my iMac as a surveillance camera?

Unacceptable answer:
    "use the search function, has been covered several times!"

Acceptable answer:
    "go to bed, you obviously need some rest"

2. poolin1243 macrumors 6502

apple remote desktop will do it. can control really any aspect of your mac away from home.

you have to set up a dynamic dns name and do some port forwarding, otherwise...its pretty easy.

3. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

and with Apple Remote Desktop I can access my iMac from anywhere in the world?

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

yeah, in particular you need the ports forwarded, a relatively static IP address, and setup both machines for VNC. No need to shell out for ARD from Apple.

5. cruzr74 macrumors newbie

Help! they stole my MBP

I am a newbie to the Mac. I got mine while attending Full sail University Online. I had it two months and It was stolen night before last. I need to know how to use the isight feature to find out where its at. I will need line by line directions if possible. I am just starting my Web design degree and I have yet to learn all the tech terms. So please bear with me. Thank you for any help you may be able to provide. :(

6. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

Kudos for reviving a 4 year old thread.

7. cruzr74 macrumors newbie

are you being mean? I am new to the Mac and im only asking for help. if you can help me out, please do. If not, don't be a jerk.