Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dragon2611

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2004
is it possible to access another users folder in osx?

I created an account on my macbook so my brother could use garageband and i want to open one of the files he created (so i can export it and send it to the pc for him) but i can't access the folder?

is there anyway to get a finder window that allows me to browse the whole filesystem? (i guess i'm asking for a finder window running as either admin/root)

his account is a standard user and mines an administrator account.

jlewis2k1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2005
in your closet
dragon2611 said:
is it possible to access another users folder in osx?

I created an account on my macbook so my brother could use garageband and i want to open one of the files he created (so i can export it and send it to the pc for him) but i can't access the folder?

is there anyway to get a finder window that allows me to browse the whole filesystem? (i guess i'm asking for a finder window running as either admin/root)

his account is a standard user and mines an administrator account.

you would need to login as root if you want access to those files. OR you can use terminal and copy those files to your directory. if you need some assistance in using terminal one of us would be more than happy to help out.

dragon2611

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2004
jlewis2k1 said:
you would need to login as root if you want access to those files. OR you can use terminal and copy those files to your directory. if you need some assistance in using terminal one of us would be more than happy to help out.

im happy with navigating the terminal its just the copy command i sometimes have fun with, esp when i tryed to copy the GB file and it said i cant becuase its a directory :eek: (i find that the most confusing thing about osx apps and such can also be directories)

is there not a command i can run from terminal to get a root filebrowser window?

i cheated doing it though finder, used get info on the folder and took ownership of it, copied files and reset ownership back... bit long winded but worked.

dragon2611

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2004
yes, its just i wanted to start a root finder window so i could go around the filesystem completely ignoring file permissions

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
dragon2611 said:
yes, its just i wanted to start a root finder window so i could go around the filesystem completely ignoring file permissions
Safe mode?

jlewis2k1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2005
in your closet
dragon2611 said:
hmm maybe i could install some kinda filesystem browser and run that as root?

can anyone reccomend one?

you can log in as root ... go to:
Applications > Utilities > Netinfo Manager

Click on security and authenciate yourself.

then go to Security and enabel Root user.

dragon2611

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2004
jlewis2k1 said:
you can log in as root ... go to:
Applications > Utilities > Netinfo Manager

Click on security and authenciate yourself.

then go to Security and enabel Root user.

i know i can login as root if i really want to but then i have to logout and back in

id rather sudo (whateverapp) from terminal and get a file manager type thing with root access.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.