Access over the internet? Macbook pro and mac mini

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by onemacmini, Feb 8, 2007.

1. onemacmini macrumors 6502

Hi there, i currently travel from my mums and my dads. I have one mac mini based at my mums however when i take my macbookpro to my dads or school i need to access my files from where ever i am from my home computer which is constantly on. How can i do this? many thanks onemacmini :apple:

2. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

3. onemacmini thread starter macrumors 6502

checked out this however it doesnt support macs... shame any other ideas?

4. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

Darn, didn't know that. Sorry I have no other ideas, hope you find something,

:confused:

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There are lots of ways to accomplish this... the basic structure will be that you enable file sharing on the Mini and then make those ports accessible from the public internet. But there are some major caveats:

1) You will be exposed, so you really need to understand your security (e.g. if the Mini served a VPN, and all other ports were closed and stealthed, you would probably be reasonably secure).
    2) You will need to know your IP, so if you are on a system where your IP periodically gets changed because you lose / regain your internet connection at the modem level, you're SOL

Otherwise, there is Mac software like the one described above....

The third option would be to just get a memory stick? :( 4 gigs, $30US... not bad....

6. onemacmini thread starter macrumors 6502

Well i actually have a memory stick but would prefer to accsess it whenever i want where ever i want but thanks for the help... any other suggestions?

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

back-up your files online to a .Mac account (or some other online storage) then you can access them from the macbook pro when you need to

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

First, I'd go to someone like DynDNS and get a free dynamic IP address.

You'll need to be sure to update their server when your IP changes (takes 5 seconds, and there's software to do it for you). This will give you an address to use (like mymini.homeip.net or whatever).

You can then set up the mini (System Preferences...->Sharing) to allow secure access (remote login) which will let you use scp to get files, or use FTP (I wouldn't - it isn't secure) or even Apple Remote Desktop (with Chicken of the VNC on your MBP).

So then, for example, once the mini (and any home routers) are set up with the proper ports opened and forwarded, you could be at your dads and connect via Terminal to fetch files, or something like Transmit to fetch them via SCP, or fire up CotVNC and use it to email files to you or whatnot.

9. onemacmini thread starter macrumors 6502

so far i have created a address but when i want to log onto my comp it logs me into my firewall instead! any help would be fantastic so that i can accsess these files... a step by step guide would be great as i tend to get a little confused.. if not any help is great! once again many thanks onemacmini