Access Points for Macs (other than AEBS)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by theovandoesburg, Sep 25, 2003.

1. theovandoesburg macrumors newbie

Are there any access points (Linksys, Netgear, etc.) that can be setup on a Mac? The setup software seems to be only Windows compatible. I know that most access points are compatible with Airport cards, but I want to be able to setup and control the hardware via my Mac, and not a PC.

2. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Most non-Apple base stations have a web-based interface for setting them up in addition to the Windows CD-ROM. I've used a Belkin and a Netgear without any problems setting either one up.

3. KentuckyApple macrumors regular

KentuckyApple

I have a linksys wireless router that works great with my pc and imac.

4. Pablo macrumors regular

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I recently got a brand new 3Com Office Connect 802.11g base station off eBay. You can set it up from any web browser, but only if you know the IP it's on. I was able to get my iBook to connect to it and get an IP via DHCP but could not figure out the base station IP to configure it. Gave up and attachec to my PC where the supplied software scanned the IP range till it found it.

You could do it from a Mac, but it's easier with the scanner.

6. LordMord macrumors member

most work...

Have linksys and netgear and they both work. I found the Netgear easier to setup tho... Just use your Safari to log onto it :)

7. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

I use a D-Link router that works beautifully. Any router is fine, just make sure it's 802.11g compatible, otherwise you won't be taking advantage of your Airport Extreme card (I'm assuming that's what you have since you were asking for something comparable to the AEBS).

8. bobpensik macrumors regular

i use the Lynksys WRT54G and it works great :)

I also connect to my school's wireless internet, i don't know what they have brodcasting the signal, but i connect to that with zero difficulty :)

Oh and use an AE card :)

9. flyhigher macrumors newbie

Are there any non-AEBS access points that can do multipoint bridging with an AEBS? That is:

Mac------AEBS . . . . . . . otherAP----Mac

where ---- is an Ethernet
    and . . . . . is wireless

I know that two AEBSs can do this, but I'd like to know if any other vendor can interoperate with an Apple AEBS this way. I don't care which one is the master.

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

My 3Com base station supports bridging but I don't know if there is some sort of standard for bridging mode or if each manufacturer has a proprietary bridging mode.