Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenyabob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2003
San Francisco
I have an external harddrive that is hooked up to my windows machine. Its a 160 gig FAT32 format hard drive thats USB2.0. Works fine wth windows xp, but when I attempt it with my new dual g5 I cant get anything to show up. Any ideas?

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I don't think Mac OS X can read the information in that format. I think you can format the drive via Disc Utility but that's about it. Maybe you can do something with Virtual PC but I don't think Virtual PC works with the G5s yet. Maybe someone else can help you more.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
eek, sorry, I wasn't aware of that :( I just assumed this because when ever I plugged in a PC Hard Drive to my Mac to would only show up in Disc Utility and wouldn't mount.

I'll try and be more carefull in the future...
:D

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
are there other partitions on the drive? if so, jaguar can be really spotty about recognizing the one you wish to access. the only advice i would have is to try panther and see if it works any better. i have also noticed that panther has an ntfs extension and anyone who can test it would be much appreciated :D

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Originally posted by LimeiBook86
eek, sorry, I wasn't aware of that :( I just assumed this because when ever I plugged in a PC Hard Drive to my Mac to would only show up in Disc Utility and wouldn't mount.

I'll try and be more carefull in the future...
:D

What file system was used and how large was the partition/disk?

As another poster has mentioned, the use of partitions. The first partition can usually be recognized; the subsequent ones are usually not.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Well, the hard drive was a 3.3gb IDE drive from my mom's eMachines computer. We replaced it with a 60gb HD but I would like to get our files off the 3gb drive. I plugged it into the Mac and it could only be read in Disc Utility and would not mount. I can try again if you want. I don not know the format but the drive came with the computer so I wouldn't know.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Originally posted by Lanbrown
OS X is capable or reading FAT32 drives. It does not support FAT16 or NTFS though.

My thumb drive (Lexar 128 MB Jump Drive) is FAT16, according to Disk Utility, and readable by Mac OS X...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.