Accessing Linux Samba Shares

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by DavidLeblond, Mar 16, 2004.

1. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I have a share on my Linux server /storage. In Panther (10.3.3) I can open a terminal window and type "smbclient //server/storage" and then my password and get into the share. However when I try to connect under the Network icon it prompts me for domain (I think its set at MSHOME), user (I tried my smb user as set up in /etc/smbusers on my linux server) and password. It won't let me in. What am I doing wrong?

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

No good ideas, but a couple possible suggestions.

Is this a Linux box you have total control over? If so you can look up the domain for sure inside of /etc/samba/smb.conf (Red Hat) or /etc/smb.conf (many others). Also you can restart the daemon from the command line running in verbose mode - often that'll let you see clearly where the connection is going wrong (it's my favorite trick for diagnosing ssh connection errors, but it should help with smb as well).

3. DavidLeblond thread starter macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Well I fixed it for now by turning off encrypted passwords (my Windows box doesn't have a need to connect to it anymore, seeing that I don't use that crusty old thing now. ;) )

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Shouldn't you type "smb://server/storage/"?

5. DavidLeblond thread starter macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Typing smb://server/storage/ is the same thing as browsing it in Finder. smbclient is the Samba client you can run in the terminal window.

6. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Hmm... we're using encrypted passwords, and like I said things work for me. This probably isn't a good idea long-term.

7. DavidLeblond thread starter macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I don't share with my linux box often (mostly I do by FTP actually.) I also never share with it unless I'm at home in which I have other means of security.