Accessing my iMac remotely with Win XP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chuckd62687, Mar 15, 2007.

1. chuckd62687 macrumors member

I am a new Mac user and would like to access my Mac from my work laptop which is running Windows XP. I already have the realVNC client installed on my laptop. What do I need to do to setup my Mac? Does it have something to do with ARD? Is there a DynamicDNS update utility for Mac? Thanks.

2. tilman macrumors regular

Enable "Apple Remote Desktop" under Preferences -> Sharing on your Mac, click on "Access Privileges", then enable "VNC viewers may control screen with a password", and enter a password. Then install VNC client (personal version is free) on your Windows machine, connect to your Mac, and enter the password you just created. Done.

3. chuckd62687 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. What about a dynamic DNS update utility?

4. chuckd62687 thread starter macrumors member

OK, so I have the following accomplished.

1) ARD enabled on iMac at home.
    2) DynDNS updated installed and updating my public IP.
    3) Port Forwarding setup via my router.

I am still unable to access it from my XP machine. I am using the free VNC client from RealVNC. Any ideas or common problems to look for?

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Does your work allow the VNC port (5900) out of its network? Mine doesn't.

6. chuckd62687 thread starter macrumors member

Yes it does, I had this setup and working with my Dell.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you were at your Mac, this is how I'd troubleshoot it:

From a terminal, telnet to port 5900 of your Macs internal IP address. If that doesn't connect, then there's a problem with ARD. I personally have ARD turned off and use Vine Server as it seems to refresh the screen faster. (Not that I've done actual benchmarks, .. it just feels that way).

If that does connect, telnet to port 5900 of your routers external IP address. If that doesn't connect, then it sounds like port forwarding isn't happening.

That's about it.

If you're familiar with terminal, I'd also recommend enabling "Remote Logon" (or whatever it's called) on your Mac and port forwarding port 22 on your router so if you run into problems from work, you can use Putty (or some other free Windows SSH client) to connect to your Mac for troubleshooting.

8. chuckd62687 thread starter macrumors member

Of course it turns out that my DSL was down that day at home. So that was the issue. I can connect via VNC and enter my password but when it starts to render the screen it dies and says it got an "unknown message type"?

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

You might try using the TightVNC client on your XP box and see if that works any better.