Accessing Network Filestore

Discussion in 'macOS' started by roberts, Sep 20, 2005.

1. roberts macrumors newbie

I've recently moved away to university with my iBook. The university gives each student a home directory on their server to store up to 150 mb and I'd like to access it from my room on my Mac. On the windows PCs in the library and computer labs it's just a matter of looking in My Computer but I'm wondering if/how I can get at it from MacOS X (I'm using Tiger).

The university uses a VPN which I've managed to get connected to fairly easily to use the internet, but so far I haven't worked out how to get my filestore. If I've left out anything just ask, but I don't really know that much about the network they use.

Thanks.

2. roberts thread starter macrumors newbie

3. baummer macrumors 6502a

Do you know if your uni offers SSH/FTP access? Try doing this:

1. Open either a new terminal window (for SSH) or download a free FTP program
    2. Typically, whatever server name is listed after your email, that's the one to use. For example, say rob@myuni.edu is Rob's email address. myuni.edu is the hostname.
    3. Just to test using SSH, type: ssh -l username hostname
    (i.e. ssh -l rob myuni.edu)
    4. Press enter
    5. If they have SSH access open, enter the password (usually the same as you use to login in the labs or email).
    6. If it connects, you know it works.
    7. Now use the same login info for FTP (hostname would be myuni.du and use the same user and pass).

Hope this helps, let me know if you're confused, I'm writing this fast.

4. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

which university are you at? im going to one next week which offers very similar facilities, identical actually.....:eek:

tastic

5. roberts thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think FTP or SSH are supported as those commands (with my details) didn't work. What else could they be using? What does a Windows network usually use to share files, samba? I don't really know anything about windows networking.

It's the University of Stirling.

6. baummer macrumors 6502a

Have you tried contacting their IS department?

7. baummer macrumors 6502a

Try using portal.stir.ac.uk as the hostname...does that work? I just did an open port scan and they have port 22 (SSH) open on that hostname.

8. roberts thread starter macrumors newbie

That didn't seem to work either, oh well. Thanks for all the help anyway, I'll just have to email the administrator I suppose.

9. baummer macrumors 6502a

How are you trying to access it? What details?

10. belvdr macrumors 601

If it's Windows, then it is most likely NetBIOS/Samba, not SSH. SSH isn't very user friendly for sharing files, nor does Windows come with it, so I see no reason why they would implement it.

If you have someone who is using Windows logon, see what server and share they are using. You can usually find this if you double-click My Computer. It may say like "johndoe on server1". Now, on your Mac in Finder, hit command+k or click Go, then Connect to Server. Type smb://server1/<your username>

Make sure to replace it with your username.

11. roberts thread starter macrumors newbie

Code:
    Roberts-iBook:~ robertsmith$ ssh -l rcs07 portal.stir.ac.uk
    rcs07@stir.ac.uk's password: <I type in my password>
    Permission denied, please try again.
    So I don't have permission to SSH into it. FTP just times out, no error messages.

12. belvdr macrumors 601

Looks like we replied at the same time. SSH is not your solution here. My guess is that the portal isn't a file server for students.