Accessing NTFS shares

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by GeeYouEye, Feb 16, 2003.

1. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Does anyone know of a way (preferably without buying new software) to access NTFS shares on a PC network, from an iBook 800MHz, running 10.2.4? Thanks.

2. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Yeah, apple need to build this in to OSX, Its really annoying when moving stuff back and forth from a NTFS VPC volume.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

My W2K Advanced Server is NTFS and I mount a share on that drive just the same as would any other on my Mac (10.2.4).
    Connect to Server > smb://ServerIPAddress/ShareName

4. GeeYouEye thread starter macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

*wince*
    Any way besides that? Via Directory Access maybe? The Sys Admin is a paranoid freak and refuses to tell me the IP address of the server. "We can't have laptops, especially Macs, connecting to the school network, too much of a security risk. If you can get on on your own, fine. But I won't help you."

Or even a way to find out the IP address would be useful.

5. SoonToGetAMac macrumors 6502

yeah, i just realized this is why i couldn't network my XP box and my new iBook to transfer files...I always thought SMB was compatable with NTFS, but apparantly not :(...apple should put this in 10.3

6. Xero macrumors 6502

um, if your connected to a network with an NTFS partition in a PC you should just be able to "Go>Connect to Server..." [Cmd+K] and it will see all the systems o the network with possible shared drives.

i have a pc here at home running winXP and all partitions are NTFS, and it works flawlessly. i just hit Cmd+K choose my PC on the network, choose the partition to mount and bam, there it is sitting on my desktop.

since your trying to get to drives on a school network, some systems may be behind an internal firewall. otherwise it should be really simple.