Accessing PS3 network not possible with airport? Help!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by manicminer, Jan 10, 2007.

1. manicminer macrumors newbie

Try as a might, I can't get my PS3 connected to the playstation network with my airport equipped iMac. By using the internet sharing option, the PS3 does detect the signal, but simply won't connect. On its own it can't even get my IP address, and even if I input this manually I then get an error about a problem with the server name.

Quite a few people seem to have this problem, but it never seems to get answered properly -- like a similar thread on this site http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=264445.

It definitely isn't my PS3, as I can easily join the network with my neighbours unprotected wifi. Problem is he doesn't keep his computer on all the time, and asking him to do so might sour relations somewhat!

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. darkwing macrumors 65816

I posted this in the other thread, but if you are trying to connect through your Mac's ethernet connection by sharing its airport connection, then you may need to turn the Mac's firewall off. If this fixes it, then figure out what ports to open manually. I had problems sharing the Mac's connection for anything other than simple website access as its firewall would block all other traffic through it.

Still, it should be able to get an IP from it regardless I believe. (been a while)

3. manicminer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks darkwing, but I tried it with the firewall off and it still didn't work...

Any other ideas?

Did you get your network sorted in the end?