Accessing the Internet over multiple connections (cable + adsl)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by martijnvandijk, Mar 29, 2003.

1. martijnvandijk macrumors member

I have broadband internet access at home via both ADSL (768/256 - airport) and Cable (800/128 - ethernet). Is there any way that I can use both access networks at the same time, so to double downloading speeds? :confused:

Thanks,

Martijn

2. alset macrumors 65816

alset

You may be able to split them between two network cards. Someone I know who hangs on this site used two cards to have a LAN and WAN run separately without a router, so I'll point him in your direction to give you some more info.

Also, I'm certain you wouldn't be able to combine the connections for a single download. More likely, you would have simultaneous but independent connections.

you know, the more I think about it, the less likely it seems, but we'll find out.

Dan

3. conceptdev macrumors regular

Yes it is possible, I remember reading someone posting that they do this in /. a while back. However if memory serves me correctly this is not a simple procedure it requires going deep into the CLI and while its a fun and nifty thing for your average /. penguin hugger to do I don't think it would be to fun or simple to in OSX.

My 2cents.

4. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Ok, this is NOT a simple procedure and most likly it's just gonna cost more money than it's worth. What the technical term for this is "bonding". In essance what you are doing is send one packet out one line, and the other out the other. Then when packet's come in they need to be reorganized into the correst order. This is where things get sticky because I'm not sure if you have to have the same company for ISP's (example, when I did this I used two DSL modems from the same company, nearly the same IP and for sure on the same subnet).

The way that I did this is by using a Cisco 3600 series router with two cisco DSL modems (*hint* not really cheap). The modems converterd the DSL lines into direct IP's over a high bandwith serial link to the router. The router then took over the task of bonding the lines. I know at points we were having so much trouble with it that we only bonded the lines outgoing, when things came in (uploads) they would only go over one of the cable connections.

This is just an example of how I did it. I know there is a way to do it with the built in network features in linux (as stated above) however I don't know how user friendly it would be.

I plan on doing this again next year at my house using two cable modems, but I'm not sure how successful I'm going to be.

Good luck, I can try to help if you want.

BEN