accessing Unix-based system from Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by notwist, Feb 19, 2007.

1. notwist macrumors regular

My schools computer labs have some software I would like to access from my Mac. They are Unix-based so I don't know how to go about accessing them. Is there some software I have to download? Thanks

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

X11

On your install disks as an optional install is a program called X11. It lets you remotely access unix programs and run their full GUI on your Mac if the program uses the X11 windowing system. This is also available for download from Apple if you can't find it on your disk.

Basically, after you install it and open it you have a command line almost exactly like a unix terminal. ssh with a -x or -y flag into the remote unix machine and when you open a program from that command line its windows should pop up on your Mac.

3. notwist thread starter macrumors regular

I already have X11 installed. I guess I'll just search the web for a ssh tutorial for unix. THanks!

4. notwist thread starter macrumors regular

I was able to access the programs but when I tried to run Matlab for example, it runs but no windows pop up. Is there something I have to enable in X11 or some thing I have to download? I also tried running xmaple but it said it can't open display. Any ideas?

5. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

did you make sure to add the -X flag? For example the command would be:

ssh -X host.computer.address

I have done this with Matlab several times and it takes no special work. It is however, slow if you don't have a really good network connection to the host computer.

6. notwist thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I got it finally. It's slow, but will suffice until I am able to up my RAM and buy Parallels (or Boot Camp, which ever comes first :D )

7. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

You know Matlab has a Mac OS version......

Some other programs might be able to run on your Mac as well. Fink allows a lot of Unix programs to be installed on X11.

RAM only helps if it is installed directly on your computer, but it sounds like that is what you are going for.