Accessing & Uploading files on airported macs (silly question)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CHAOS STEP, Jan 30, 2006.

1. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

Nov 2, 2005
    playing tiddlywinks with Kim Jong-un
    Ok, this might be a silly question, so excuse me if i am missing something very simple.

I have 2 macs, 1 g5 iMac running panther equipped with an extreme card, 1 airport express and 1 mac mini again with the extreme card.

Currently I use the aiport for both macs as and when needed to access the internet wirlessly as my mini is used through my telly and the imac is in the spare room (occasionally it gets taken downstairs).

It's all good aiport seems ok 98% of the time (inexplecably I get days of bad reception for no known reason) anyways I wanted to be able to in a way synch my macs - well not quite but I wanted to say send a file and save it off on my i mac that I created on my mini and vice versa without having to use my ipod as a carrying donkey.

so well, when both macs are on I have tried to look for their respective drives - i have even creaed a specific shared network and still i cant seem to find my imac / mac mini.

How do I set this up - I possibly need to apply something in sharing preferences but I am reluctant to fiddle around as I tend to break computers.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
  2. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    Use .Mac's iDisk to sync files and lots more.
  3. gallagb macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2004
    is there a free way though?

ie - not using iDisk or .mac?

any 'free' options?
  4. mfacey macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2004
    If I understand you correctly just switch on personal file sharing (systemprefs -> Sharing) on both macs and you can mount the remote disk on each mac, respectively. Its a piece of cake. Just look them up under "network" in Finder, use the neccesary login info and off you go!
  5. CHAOS STEP thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 2, 2005
    playing tiddlywinks with Kim Jong-un

You see, I knew it would be something simple like that, colour me embarassed!

I'll give it a crack later on.

Thanks y'all