Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Can't wait. The 5.5 is perfect size. :p

Agreed! Everything else is too small for my pockets.

The mockup 5.5 inch phone bugs me, surely it will have a row of 5 icons rather than the same 4 icons made larger?!

I hope so too. I hope that a larger screen isn't just going to allow for bigger icons. I am still upset that you can't get 5 or 6 rows of apps on the iPads.

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
For those that put any credibility into Brian whites 'sources ' remember one thing. Brian white has been over 70% wrong in his predictions this is fact. I remember when White was saying that an Apple Television is coming and he kept repeating 'according to his sources'
Even hid earnings predictions are way off This guy has no clue about anything Apple. Fact!!!!

I agree. His 'research' consisted of walking around a trade show for a few hours.

Attachments

• research.jpg
    research.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 56

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Why do you have to hold it? It's a done deal. Of course it's going to be big and maybe strange at first but you will buy the 5.5 for sure! Yeah need 128GB since it's going to be a video beast. I think this is a no brainer and there will be 128GB.

I hope so too, but I wouldn't bet the farm on that last part; remember Apple believes in streaming, and iCloud.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
I always wondered about that too; I certainly fall into the same category that I can't upgrade all my devices in the same quarter, and often wondered how this works out for Apple by forcing consumers to make choices rather than buy everything throughout the year...

...but it must not be hurting their bottom line, somehow it must be increasing it. Otherwise they would not have shifted so definitively to this schedule for the last couple years.

I think it turns out the Apple followers who even consider upgrading year after, ALL of their devices, pale in comparison to the sheer number of NEW buyers to Apple that get turned on by NEW products being released in the holiday quarter.

It's actually a really good way to dominate the run-up to the holiday season where a lot of people splurge. June release - people get distracted by sun and summer, iPhone is in the back of their mind by the time Christmas gets here. Late September-early October + huge demand increases the hype and suddenly iPhones and Apple products are on people's minds for holiday purchases.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Does anybody think we will finally get away from the 16GB entry level phone this year?

That would be nice. However, Apple makes a profit on that so probably no.

----------

Very few people can actually afford to buy thousands of dollars of different products in 1 or 2 quarters. Thats why they don't, just because Apple are releasing new products at a similar time it doesn't mean you have to buy them all.

Most people (fan boys aside) get a new iPhone when their contract is up, get a new Mac when their old one has had it, get a new iPad when their old one has had it. Believe it or not the vast majority of us do not buy the newest product when it's released year after year.

Agreed. I like my Apple stuff and the money that people spend on booze I spend on Apple.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Girlfriend is definitely going 4.7". I'm not sure which I prefer yet. I don't use my iPhone as an actual phone, so the 5.5" won't look stupid while I hold it as a phone, so that's a plus. lol.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
As for holding, while I am not from Missouri (as in show me) I like to check how a larger phone goes with the way I use it, keep it on me.

Target is a good place to venture to where you can get a rough feel for 4.7" and 5.5" handsets from Samsung and HTC models, enough to give you an idea of the larger sized screen real estate, and how it fits into your hand to help you make your purchase decision later down the road.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
It will be very interesting how the 5.5" model is accepted, because up til now, anything that big (or even the slightly bigger 6" phones) have been eschewed by current iPhone junkies as "tablet phones" and have been mocked and laughed at by the general public with the first words usually something like "that's huge"..

Once Apple brings out something that big, it will suddenly be "cool" and sexy and accepted.

Time will tell, but I hope that's the case. I just want to be "cool". :)

macuser453787

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2012
Galatians 3:13-14
...inexpensive cost of making these cases makes you wonder why we all pay $40 a piece for cases.

My guess is because everything in the world of Apple is more expensive than the equivalent non-Apple counterparts. It's not surprising to me that the so-called "Apple tax" could also apply to iPhone accessories - even from third party manufacturers. :)

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
It will be very interesting how the 5.5" model is accepted, because up til now, anything that big (or even the slightly bigger 6" phones) have been eschewed by current iPhone junkies as "tablet phones" and have been mocked and laughed at by the general public with the first words usually something like "that's huge"..

And the ones that made the most noise mocking the larger screened phones will be first in line to get the 5.5" iPhone. I'm more than comfortable with my S5, but having used iPhones since the 3G I'd be happy to come back if one of these larger iPhones to be released grabs my interest.

OS wise, Android has improved heaps recently, having used both quite a bit I personally don't feel there's a big difference between them, but I do feel iOS is that little bit better in overall finish and app quality, but the margin is very small compared to a few years back when it crapped all over Android.

Hopefully the larger iPhones are successful (can't see them not being so) as it will even the playing field again and these companies will have to lift their game again to keep business, not just a few minor updates here and there.

By Christmas I'll either be an Apple convert (again), or I'll see out my S5 contract and wait for what's next from all manufacturers.

Ericstephen

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2013
20mil seems kinda low, with Asia's affinity for phablets. Another qtr of demand outstripping supply. Anyone know anything about supply chains for massive corporations? Why can't Apple produce 30mil and if they don't sell them in 2014, they'll surely get sold by March 2015. I can never understand why Apple can't produce enough units. It seems deliberate. Same story every year. So much lost revenue due to the inability to meet demand.

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009

Once Apple brings out something that big, it will suddenly be "cool" and sexy and accepted.

Time will tell, but I hope that's the case. I just want to be "cool". :)

Yep. There were similar guffaws and mockery aplenty leading up to the release of iPad (here especially). Those guys have been idle too long, doncha know? Time to mock something else ... :rolleyes:

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Target is a good place to venture to where you can get a rough feel for 4.7" and 5.5" handsets from Samsung and HTC models, enough to give you an idea of the larger sized screen real estate, and how it fits into your hand to help you make your purchase decision later down the road.

Thank you, I m (very) old school. I like ego check out the real thing.
Weight, feel etc.

Too much plastic in HTC and SAM

Enabledobject

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2014
No dual LED flash? Or is that just another misleading mockup? The iPhone 5s has a decent flash for those late nights at the club, but they can do better!

Huh, good catch. I've never seen anyone else mention that before. Ever.

Face = palmed.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Thank you, I m (very) old school. I like ego check out the real thing.
Weight, feel etc.

Too much plastic in HTC and SAM

You're welcome. I prefer checking out these devices in person too, and if that happens to be "old school" then so be it. :cool:

Also, I agree, too much plastic for HTC & Samsung; yet aside from that I think you'll get a much better idea which screen size you'll most likely prefer from seeing their larger handset lineup in person. Good luck. :apple:

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
You're welcome. I prefer checking out these devices in person too, and if that happens to be "old school" then so be it. :cool:

Also, I agree, too much plastic for HTC & Samsung; yet aside from that I think you'll get a much better idea which screen size you'll most likely prefer from seeing their larger handset lineup in person. Good luck. :apple:

Plastic. Might be valid for Samsung but HTC offers metal now. Beautiful phone. I still use my GS3. Plastic is not an issue for me since my phone is in a case. Contract up in Sept. Might give a larger iPhone a test drive. Otherwise, it's HTC or Sammy again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.