Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
I accidentally deleted a file from the finder. Does anyone know a way to recover it from the hard drive? I have read that trashing items simply deletes a pointer to the data on the hard drive so the file should still be there right? Somebody please help me with this.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Norton utilities could probably recover it. If you take this route, it is essential that you use your computer to a minimum until you un-erase it. If you create a new file now you may over-write the file you are trying to recover.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Norton is not an option now

I do have a program called Data Rescue X which is currently scanning through the 80GB hard drive the file was on prior to being deleted. this process takes a few hours so I will know if it found anything later in the night. I was hoping someone had a keyboard shortcut for undoing Finder actions like that.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
You will have to purchase software to get that file back, as well as many others, if you want.

The software I see to hold a more positive light above others (although I haven't tried it) is Rewind (review).

Is your computer able to boot in OS 9? Do you also have between 5 and 10 percent of your Hard Drive left to use? If this test passes, you should have no problem with the software.

EDIT: I see you already have a software utility running.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I read this tip in the days of MacSecrets First Edition, so I have no idea if modern Macs have worked around it.... If you delete a file by accident unplug the machine. Don't shut it down, unplug it. The machine may not have committed the file to be overwritten, and with luck you will have it back when you reboot.

This is not the best thing you can do to your machine, but when you have some important data to retrieve.... Well, we all know how that goes.

Best of luck!
Dan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.